Is Comic Relief racist?

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

A happy medium? 

Why is abject poverty and obscene wealth side by side considered acceptable, or the norm? 

People can still be very rich and the poor have enough for a reasonably comfortable life if it was all shared out a bit more equitably.  I think it's the extremes that we have today that people find unacceptable.

Agreed.   Having a pot for this and pot for that isn't helpful either. There's plenty of money in the world, it's just not being distributed in accordance with priority.

There'd be enough for everybody if nobody took too much, but they do, and that's why I firmly believe that poverty and famine can't be eradicated without compromising the wealthy, which leaves only two options for future generations- Either they leave things the way they are allowing both extremes to continue to coexist to accommodate the wealthy, or ensure that neither exists. 

Edited by danot

15 hours ago, Halibut said:

You don't need those inverted commas around the word racist. It's an actual thing you know.

Racism is an actual thing. Being white and helping black people in Africa isn't racist though, apart from in the eyes of a certain MP of course. Hence the speech marks. And hence the whole reason for this thread existing. 

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Why is it a joke? He should personally make up the shortfall.

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

A happy medium? 

Why is abject poverty and obscene wealth side by side considered acceptable, or the norm? 

People can still be very rich and the poor have enough for a reasonably comfortable life if it was all shared out a bit more equitably.  I think it's the extremes that we have today that people find unacceptable.

If you averaged out the world's wealth per person, almost everyone in the UK would come out poorer.

Edited by WiseOwl182

36 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Racism is an actual thing. Being white and helping black people in Africa isn't racist though, apart from in the eyes of a certain MP of course. Hence the speech marks. And hence the whole reason for this thread existing. 

Why is it a joke? He should personally make up the shortfall.

If you averaged out the world's wealth per person, almost everyone in the UK would come out poorer.

I don't think that David Lammy's words and sentiments have so much power over people. 

20 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I don't think that David Lammy's words and sentiments have so much power over people. 

Just a coincidence that donations are lower in the same year he, to much publicity, practically calls people racist for helping Africans then?

There could be any number of reasons why donations are lower this year. Crediting the fall in donations to something Lammy says is just stupid. Though I noticed that the helmet head MP Chris Philp demanding an apology from Lammy.

Perhaps now we have discovered the power of Lammy's proclamations - we could use him in the foreign affairs arena. He could be used to negotiate peace in Iraq, Syria and the never ending conflict between Israel and Palestine, just by the power of his words. The possibilities are endless....

Edited by Mister M

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

There could be any number of reasons why donations are lower this year. Crediting the fall in donations to something Lammy says is just stupid. Though I noticed that the helmet head MP Chris Philp demanding an apology from Lammy.

Perhaps now we have discovered the power of Lammy's proclamations - we could use him in the foreign affairs arena. He could be used to negotiate peace in Iraq, Syria and the never ending conflict between Israel and Palestine, just by the power of his words. The possibilities are endless....

On the night donations were down by over 10% since last time. I hardly think it's "stupid" to think that a well publicised PR gaffe by a mindless MP could have played some part in that.

1 minute ago, WiseOwl182 said:

On the night donations were down by over 10% since last time. I hardly think it's "stupid" to think that a well publicised PR gaffe by a mindless MP could have played some part in that.

If Lammy is mindless, why would anyone pay heed to what he said?