The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

A few years ago, 2017 I think, extreme weather conditions In Spain, Greece and other EU countries had their  crops of fruit and vegetables destroyed by extreme weather conditions.  Here in the UK shelves were empty of these products, because we bought most of them from EU countries. What few fruit and vegetables there was in the supermarkets had to be rationed. 

This went on for a week or so and then all of a sudden shelves were full of these products.  None of them came from the EU. The supermarkets worked quickly with none EU countries and our shelves were once more full of fruit and vegetables. 

The prices did go up at first, then they started to come down after a few weeks, once the supermarket shelves were overflowing with fruit and greens from none EU countries.

I’m sure it can be done again until things are sorted with the EU, if ever.

42 minutes ago, L00b said:

The CAP is a subsidy based on EU contributions. British, German, French, Irish <etc> farmers' EU subsidies are getting paid from EU28 contributions.

I wouldn't put too much stock in a replacement subsidy, given the domestic political discourse of the past 2 years. UK farmers will be in the same boat as the rest of UK plc: left to fend for themselves.  

But perhaps no.11 can be persuaded to spend a few quids on leaflets about D-veg gardening-Y. "Dig for Brexit Victory", it's catchy :)

Sure. My point is the contribution, that pays the subsidy, is raised through taxation. It doesn't come from nowhere. We pay those subsidies through our taxes.

If people want a UK subsidy system, to ensure prices remain low, and to help the UK be as self-sufficient and food secure as possible, they should ensure their party of choice implements schemes accordingly.

1 minute ago, woodview said:

Sure. My point is the contribution, that pays the subsidy, is raised through taxation. It doesn't come from nowhere. We pay those subsidies through our taxes.

If people want a UK subsidy system, to ensure prices remain low, and to help the UK be as self-sufficient and food secure as possible, they should ensure their party of choice implements schemes accordingly.

Which none will of course. They'll grab that money and throw it at another project that might win them votes. The EU gives money to deprived areas. Those areas, in this country, mostly vote Labour. Are the Tories going to put money in the former mining communities of South Wales or Yorkshire when we leave the EU? Are they ****.

5 minutes ago, woodview said:

Problem is that a lot of land is owned by sitting members of both houses, and they are in receipt of EU subsidies.

They will most likely push for more subsidies post-Brexit. It’s in their interests and the interests of those who they associate with and unofficially represent.

A massive change in land usage won’t happen because the people who can block it are right there in parliament looking after their own interests.

You will understand this soon enough

11 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Which none will of course. They'll grab that money and throw it at another project that might win them votes. The EU gives money to deprived areas. Those areas, in this country, mostly vote Labour. Are the Tories going to put money in the former mining communities of South Wales or Yorkshire when we leave the EU? Are they ****.

Vote them out then. That's part of my point. We've wandered so far from what should be happening.

I agree with what you are saying, but in my opinion, delegating the dishing out of the funds to another organisation, isn't the solution.

Speaking of food shortages - a Brexit nutjob has been on the BBC news claiming that food shortages will do Britains good, claiming that it'll make them appreciate what they had

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit-bbc-news-interview-food-shortages-supplies-no-deal-video-8751676

where the swivel eyed emoji when you need it!

14 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Problem is that a lot of land is owned by sitting members of both houses, and they are in receipt of EU subsidies.

They will most likely push for more subsidies post-Brexit. It’s in their interests and the interests of those who they associate with and unofficially represent.

A massive change in land usage won’t happen because the people who can block it are right there in parliament looking after their own interests.

You will understand this soon enough

Absolutely. 

7 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Surely we can all see the obvious : the British replacement for the CAP subsidies will be very badly thought out, We're going to make a total pig's ear out of it.

OK. let's let the EU handle everything for us, seeing as we are all-round incompetent and incapable of electing anyone who can do anything.

I despair. It's like abused wife syndrome.

We are capable of managing all these things. People believing all the drivel of we-cant-do this and we can't-do-that , need to get up of their knees or backsides.

18 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Surely we can all see the obvious : the British replacement for the CAP subsidies will be very badly thought out, We're going to make a total pig's ear out of it.

Yes. It will not see a move towards food security. It will see an entrenchment of vested interests and a subsidies system so corrupt it will make the CAP look perfect, and also encourage land management that allows increase in market power of overseas producers like the USA. It also takes away the medium term certainty provided by the CAP and makes agricultural subsidies a political plaything subject to radical change every 5 years or less.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is in for a massive shock

7 minutes ago, woodview said:

OK. let's let the EU handle everything for us, seeing as we are all-round incompetent and incapable of electing anyone who can do anything.

I despair. It's like abused wife syndrome.

We are capable of managing all these things. People believing all the drivel of we-cant-do this and we can't-do-that , need to get up of their knees or backsides.

Yes let’s continue, and improve what we have.

There is no sane argument for anything else.

Edited by I1L2T3