The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

55 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It is shocking. 

Last week's Question Time on the BBC from Derby, when, I think it was Isobel Oakshott spoke in favour of a no deal Brexit, should there be no consensus achieved. The audience erupted in cheers and applause!

This from a city that has a number of large employers in the manufacturing  sector. 

Perhaps they still haven't got the message that many have been articulating - that a no deal Brexit would be catastrophic.

Am I missing something? If no consensus is achieved then we have no choice but to leave with no deal. 

If there is a second referendum then the question has to be Deal (the one that's been negotiated) or No Deal. Some jokers are saying that Remain should be on the ballot but that option has already lost.

It should have needed a 60% vote to overturn the status quo but Cameron missed a trick there.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

It is shocking. 

Last week's Question Time on the BBC from Derby, when, I think it was Isobel Oakshott spoke in favour of a no deal Brexit, should there be no consensus achieved. The audience erupted in cheers and applause!

This from a city that has a number of large employers in the manufacturing  sector. 

Perhaps they still haven't got the message that many have been articulating - that a no deal Brexit would be catastrophic.

Only in the eyes of Remoaners . Anything other than No Deal does NOT see us leave the EU. 

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What of it?

When British soldiers are on UN exercises and peacekeeping missions they wear blue UN berets.

I say again, so what? Who cares?

Not the same thing at all and you know it. The creation of an EU army, something that Europhiles have always denied and called Euro-sceptics paranoid for bringing up, is a natural part of the creation of an EU super state, and as ever with the EU it is introduced quietly...when were the British people consulted on this??

The EU wants to be in a place where it can defend itself and the US can remove its bases (taking their influence over European affairs with them).

On one level this is to be welcomed, Europe should be able to defend itself without the US, but this puts the UK in an awkward position; we highly value the North Atlantic alliance with ourselves and the US and don't want to undermine that by being in an EU army.

Edited by Hots on

3 minutes ago, Hots on said:

Not the same thing at all and you know it. The creation of an EU army, something that Europhiles have always denied and called Euro-sceptics paranoid for bringing up, is a natural part of the creation of an EU super state, and as ever with the EU it is introduced quietly...when were the British people consulted on this??

The EU wants to be in a place where it can defend itself and the US can remove its bases (taking their influence over European affairs with them).

On one level this is to be welcomed, Europe should be able to defend itself without the US, but this puts the UK in an awkward position; we highly value the North Atlantic alliance with ourselves and the US and don't want to undermine that by being in an EU army.

complete and utter right wing paranoid conspiracist nonsense

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

It is shocking. 

Proof that when demanding a second referendum, people should be careful what they wish for, or they might get the 'wrong' answer again 

Here is an interesting question for Brexiteers opposed to a second referendum - if the result had swung the other way (with the same margin) would you have demanded another referendum now or in the near future?

Answer honestly and critically please!

8 minutes ago, melthebell said:

complete and utter right wing paranoid conspiracist nonsense

There isn't supposed to be an EU army. If one is being created by drifting into it, it is important. British soldiers wearing EU emblems rather than British needs discussing.

It has been stated that it is not happening, but it seems as though it is.

Simply shouting it down as nonesense isn't acceptable I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, tzijlstra said:

Here is an interesting question for Brexiteers opposed to a second referendum - if the result had swung the other way (with the same margin) would you have demanded another referendum now or in the near future?

Answer honestly and critically please!

There's a big difference. Voting Leave meant there has been 2 yrs + of wrangling and coming up with a deal.

If Remain had won, the day after it would have been 'that's that, we're in - business as usual' . No trying to come up with something that satisfies anybody else. Just 50% of voters silenced.

So, I would have continued to want some change. Whether that was a referendum or altering our membership, as Cameron tried to do, but came back with half a packet of crisps and subscription to Jelly of the Month.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

That is debatable and in any case I did state "developed Commonwealth countries" and not underdeveloped countries.

Nobody would expect many people from the more developed countries like Canada and Oz to come here and work for peanuts.

India and Pakistan alone have well north of 500m people living in poverty and earning a few quid a day or less.

There is your cheap labour force. Almost unlimited in supply 

5 minutes ago, woodview said:

There isn't supposed to be an EU army. If one is being created by drifting into it, it is important. British soldiers wearing EU emblems rather than British needs discussing.

It has been stated that it is not happening, but it seems as though it is.

Simply shouting it down as nonesense isn't acceptable I'm afraid.

There's a big difference. Voting Leave meant there has been 2 yrs + of wrangling and coming up with a deal.

If Remain had won, the day after it would have been 'that's that, we're in - business as usual' . No trying to come up with something that satisfies anybody else. Just 50% of voters silenced.

So, I would have continued to want some change. Whether that was a referendum or altering our membership, as Cameron tried to do, but came back with half a packet of crisps and subscription to Jelly of the Month.

The idea of a British soldier wearing a EU badge is not a rational argument against it happening.

Try again

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What of it?

When British soldiers are on UN exercises and peacekeeping missions they wear blue UN berets.

I say again, so what? Who cares?

Arguably it’s a rational response to Trump’s meddling with the US relationship with NATO anyway.

3 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Nobody would expect many people from the more developed countries like Canada and Oz to come here and work for peanuts.

India and Pakistan alone have well north of 500m people living in poverty and earning a few quid a day or less.

There is your cheap labour force. Almost unlimited in supply 

The idea of a British soldier wearing a EU badge is not a rational argument against it happening.

Try again

it wasn't an argument against it happening. It was evidence it is happening, when we have been told an EU army doesn't exist.