The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

34 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Here is an interesting question for Brexiteers opposed to a second referendum - if the result had swung the other way (with the same margin) would you have demanded another referendum now or in the near future?

Answer honestly and critically please!

I'm not sure I merit the title of Brexiteer even though I voted leave. I was shocked to find myself on the winning side. I can honestly say I wouldn't have demanded another go, probably because I wasn't sure which way to vote in the first place.

In the end it was the cost of the bureaucracy that swung it for me. Too many snouts in the trough such as the Kinnock family business.

With hindsight I might have voted differently but it would still have been a close call.

Edited by Jim Hardie

42 minutes ago, woodview said:

There's a big difference. Voting Leave meant there has been 2 yrs + of wrangling and coming up with a deal.

If Remain had won, the day after it would have been 'that's that, we're in - business as usual' . No trying to come up with something that satisfies anybody else. Just 50% of voters silenced.

So, I would have continued to want some change. Whether that was a referendum or altering our membership, as Cameron tried to do, but came back with half a packet of crisps and subscription to Jelly of the Month.

9 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I'm not sure I merit the title of Brexiteer even though I voted leave. I was shocked to find myself on the winning side. I can honestly say I wouldn't have demanded another go, probably because I wasn't sure which way to vote in the first place.

In the end it was the cost of the bureaucracy that swung it for me. Too many snouts in the trough such as the Kinnock family business.

With hindsight I might have voted differently but it would still have been a close call.

Thanks both for your considered responses.

37 minutes ago, woodview said:

it wasn't an argument against it happening. It was evidence it is happening, when we have been told an EU army doesn't exist.

British soldiers often wear NATO or UN patches. We often have foreign forces - American, Canadian, German personnel - over here working along side their British counter parts. I really don't see why we should be fearful, certainly when you consider we are 20%, give or take, short on manpower. And that's before we start looking at equipment we don't have - aircraft carriers with out aircraft for example. Most European armed forces are in a similar state I'd guess.

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

India and Pakistan alone have well north of 500m people living in poverty and earning a few quid a day or less.

There is your cheap labour force. Almost unlimited in supply 

But will they come all the way here on a seasonal basis to pick fruit and veg? 

1 hour ago, Hots on said:

Europe should be able to defend itself without the US, but this puts the UK in an awkward position; we highly value the North Atlantic alliance with ourselves and the US and don't want to undermine that by being in an EU army.

It depends where you see the UK's interests lying.

For the foreseeable future, Trump's 'America First' policy means that only US interests matter and if they coincide with ours then all's well, if not they can't be relied upon. It is never a good thing to cosy up to the school bully and at the moment Putin and Trump are the world's bullies.

We are much better off aligned with Europe than either Russia or the US.

4 hours ago, retep said:

But still investing £200m in Hullavington.

Where did you buy your bridge the EU? 

And so? Which matters most to no.11 Downing Street, do you think? Corporate tax on UK-landed profits out of (record) $4.4bn global revenue, or income tax and NI from 400 boffins at an airfield doing internal group sales (if any)?

The UK startup ecosystem has already lost close to £700m's worth of EIF investment since June 2016. That £700m will be a percentage of the estimated £14bn lost to Brexit to date.

Puts Dyson's £200m (yet to be confirmed) back into a useful perspective.

Edited by L00b

7 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

What’s fruit and veg got to do with anything?

Not been reading the thread then about a shortage of supply of cheap labour!!!!

I remind you of posts 1088 and 1089

3 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

With free movement, as Rees-Mogg and BoJo are proselytising? Yes. No doubt.

If that happens then we wont need any people from the Commonwealth countries to do the work.. :huh:

Edited by apelike