The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

4 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

I don't care, if the UK fall foul of any WTO rules.  

Why don't you care?  as far as I understand your position you want the uk to trade under WTO rules. 

i'm not sure how you can reconcile those two positions, but I await your attempt to

Edited by andyofborg

58 minutes ago, ads36 said:

It wouldn't at all, which makes it the perfect bargaining chip - they have nothing to lose.

America will want us to lower our food standards, so that they can sell us their meat, grain, GM soya products, etc. 

America will want us to open the NHS to much more international privatisation.

Etc.

We'll resist that kind of thing, I hope. America will use their objection with the WTO (our tricky Irish border problem) as an excuse for some kind of reactive difficulties imposed on UK goods going to America, Rolls-Royce engines for Boeing would be a good card to play, GE would love that. 

We'll have no option but to fold, lowering our food standards, selling off large chunks of the NHS, etc. So that America stop impeding UK goods.

If we're lucky, America may drop their objection to the border issue, or they may like to keep that winning card for future 'negotiations'.

I'm not a strategic thinker, but even I can see this coming a mile off 

What on earth are you rambling on about?  America don't give two hoots about the Irish border.  I agree you're not a strategic thinker.

4 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

Why don't you care?  as far as I understand your position you want the uk to trade under WTO rules. 

i'm not sure how you can reconcile those two positions, but I await your attempt to

Why should I care if the UK flout WTO rules?  None of us should care if the UK flout WTO rules.  Why do you care if the UK flout WTO rules?

Edited by Lockdoctor

1 minute ago, Lockdoctor said:

What on earth are you rambling on about?  America don't give two hoots about the Irish border.  I agree you're not a strategic thinker.

given the ancestry of significant portions of the population and their support for republican causes then i suspect the give at least one and a half hoots.

2 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

given the ancestry of significant portions of the population and their support for republican causes then i suspect the give at least one and a half hoots.

Really, you think the people in American who make decisions about international trade agreements worry about the Irish border?

2 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Really, you think the people in American who make decisions about international trade agreements worry about the Irish border?

i dont know, but if I thought I could gain an advantage by making it an issue, I probably would consider it 

25 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

But given that the majority of all people did not vote for it, if nothing else it will be fair! 👍

Are you saying that because the majority of all people didn't vote to Remain, it wouldn't be fair to?

At last , a breakthrough !

2 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

there are consequences for flouting WTO rules. I always thought you were resident in the UK and wouldnt want us to flout the rules which govern our trading

Hilarious. Do you think the residents in China and America worry or care when their Governments flout WTO rules?  Do you think the World is going to unite against the UK and enforce a North Korea style  trade embargo on us?

1 minute ago, Lockdoctor said:

Hilarious. Do you think the residents in China and America worry or care when their Governments flout WTO rules?  Do you think the World is going to unite against the UK and enforce a North Korea style  trade embargo on us?

the farmers in America who are now struggling to export to china seem to care quite a lot