The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

10 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I know.  Fancy giving us, the argumentative, eccentric, outsiders of Europe the chance of a referendum.  The writing was on the wall with the. Boaty McBoatface vote.

Truly. I hadn't considered it, but you're right.

That was the moment the UK demonstrated that plebiscites were only ever going to result in Hilarious Consequences.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Deep joy.  The 'clamour' for a second referendum now looks like a non-starter. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46987529

Are you brain dead? Did you not read the whole article? An amendment by the liberal democrats is still being tabled for one. It is up to the speaker to decide if it gets voted upon and going by post performance it probably will be. It will be interesting to see who vote for what. Not to mention Labour's amendment leaves the option open to one. 

59 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The global elite attending the World Economic Forum at Davos, who are behind the 'People's Vote', will not be pleased that the British electorate aren't being given another opportunity to vote how the super rich have instructed them.

Sigh. You have absolutely no idea what is going on do you?

Edited by ez8004

If there's no majority for it, there's no majority - brain death has nothing to do with it.

There is only one majority and it's for no-no-deal, which isn't going to get tabled by the government because that means extending article 50, which means a 27 member state agreement.

Article 50 could be revoked unilaterally, but no parliament could, given the circumstances of the referendum, revoke it and cancel Brexit.

It's a Thelma and Louise moment. You just know it's going to be off the cliff at full speed.

31 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

You have absolutely no idea what is going on do you?

Of all the Brextremist posters on here CarBoot is most likely to be a bot!

Never gets angry, never gets happy, never makes a joke, never gets exasperated, just trots out the same tired old anti working class nonsense time after time! 😱

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You do know that once Ireland is united, the issue of a Stormont government would cease to exist?

Yes but that is a bit backwards to say the least. The problem there is that unless a working Stormont Government exists then the whole issue of a united Ireland cannot even be discussed, so that has to be sorted out first. 

On 23/01/2019 at 20:37, tzijlstra said:

Here is an interesting question for Brexiteers opposed to a second referendum - if the result had swung the other way (with the same margin) would you have demanded another referendum now or in the near future?

Answer honestly and critically please!

Not at all.  I don't have the sense of entitlement that goes with trying to do all I can to reverse a democratic majority outcome because it didn't go the way I wanted.  I've been spitting feathers after many an election, and more importantly, after many a united game, but I've never once thought, 'mmm, now that didn't turn out how I wanted, so I'll demand a replay'. 

Here's one for you, if there was a second referendum and in the very unlikely scenario that Remain won, that would be one all, wouldn't it?  So, we would have to then have a third to find the winner, wouldn't we? 

On 23/01/2019 at 22:01, L00b said:

And so? Which matters most to no.11 Downing Street, do you think? Corporate tax on UK-landed profits out of (record) $4.4bn global revenue, or income tax and NI from 400 boffins at an airfield doing internal group sales (if any)?

The UK startup ecosystem has already lost close to £700m's worth of EIF investment since June 2016. That £700m will be a percentage of the estimated £14bn lost to Brexit to date.

Puts Dyson's £200m (yet to be confirmed) back into a useful perspective.

And it's only going to prolong this if we prolong doubt and uncertainty by extending the deadline. We need to get on with it. 

It does make me wonder who are the inflexible parties in regards to Brexit? The leaders / diplomats of the various countries or the likes of career EU mandarin  Juncker & the EU Commission in general? 

We now have a call from diplomats to be more 'generous' in a post Brexit environment; 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-46995337

At the same time the French are now increasingly concerned about delays in importing their goods, (note the French surplus on goods to the UK), as it will hit their agricultural sector hard & let's face it, it's the French farmers who actually run France. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-46944358

All this apparent late concern about us leaving the EU without a decent deal & at the same time when the 'Big boys' of the EU, Germany & France don't look as though they're interested in the rest of you with a series of Franco-German initiatives just between the two of them, including their own economic zone. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-46944358

Hmmm? I'd have thought this sort of thing, excluding the other EU partners, would be against EU. rules?

9 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The global elite attending the World Economic Forum at Davos, who are behind the 'People's Vote', will not be pleased that the British electorate aren't being given another opportunity to vote how the super rich have instructed them.

You still don't understand that it was the super rich who were instructing you to vote leave?

Would it help if it were written on the side of a bus?

4 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Not at all.  I don't have the sense of entitlement that goes with trying to do all I can to reverse a democratic majority outcome because it didn't go the way I wanted.  I've been spitting feathers after many an election, and more importantly, after many a united game, but I've never once thought, 'mmm, now that didn't turn out how I wanted, so I'll demand a replay'. 

Here's one for you, if there was a second referendum and in the very unlikely scenario that Remain won, that would be one all, wouldn't it?  So, we would have to then have a third to find the winner, wouldn't we? 

You've confused a competitive sport for a democracy.  Democracies are ALL ABOUT repeatedly asking the same question.  It's pretty much the definition of democracy that the electorate can change their mind.

Edited by Cyclone

5 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

If remain win it would be best to put this to bed for the simple practical reason that we can’t afford as a country to go through this nonsense again.

Of course it could be wise to revisit if massive treaty change was proposed