The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

5 minutes ago, woodview said:

Why would the movement of illegal drugs / people smuggling be any different post brexit with no border posts, to now???There would be no difference. Unless you can explain otherwise.

Well the checks at the shortest routes, the channel ports, are going to be a lot more thorough than now post brexit so taking things by a route that wouldn't have any checks...........................................

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Well the checks at the shortest routes, the channel ports, are going to be a lot more thorough than now post brexit so taking things by a route that wouldn't have any checks...........................................

You'd use the NI border now, surely where there are no checks at all?

Let's leave this one, it was a good effort, but not worth further embarrassment.

42 minutes ago, woodview said:

Do you believe the ROI will put on border posts? I don't either. UK Govt can say they won't put them up. Backstop is done with.

Of course they will, if the UK ends up Brexiting. They don't have a choice. They -and some of us at least- understand how international trade actually works.

Nothing to do with smuggling (well, some, but it's incidental and trivial in the grand scheme of things). All to do with external EU/EEA borders, and WTO mechanics.

The UK will be free not to implement any customs in NI. But then if it does, then it can't implement any customs anywhere else . Again, because WTO mechanics. It's going to ge fun watching you taking back control of your borders, by abolishing them :lol:

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, L00b said:

You know better than to take governments at their word, surely?

It is not in Varadkar's political interest to declare that the RoI is going to build border posts. Moreover, it plays to the ERG and their like's narrative of 'EU punishing'. In the meantime, the RoI has recruited and is currently training  hundreds of customs officers, long a matter of public record. Join the dots.

The backstop isn't getting ripped out. Nor is it getting time-limited. Live with it.

Hopefully we will end up with No Deal ,and the EU can shove their back stop, and all their other rules and regs  where the sun dont shine. 

Just now, L00b said:

Of course they will, if the UK ends up Brexiting. They don't have a choice. They -and some of us at least- understand how international trade actually works.

They won't though. So we'll have to agree to disagree.

I understand trade too, as I import and export EU and worldwide. I know there isn't a guy called Clive at the border with a clipboard and pen, counting how many oranges there are in each lorry, working out the import duty with his calculator and Big Book of Tariffs, getting the truck driver to write him a cheque.

5 minutes ago, woodview said:

You'd use the NI border now, surely where there are no checks at all?

Let's leave this one, it was a good effort, but not worth further embarrassment.

Plenty of existing checks at NI borders currently, as it happens. Phytosanitary ones, for a start.

That's how and why a border on the Irish Sea would have been the easiest way forward, offerring the least disruption.

But then, GE2017 and May made the DUP kingmakers. So that put paid to that.

The EU still tried to help, by extending the 'new' (NI-only) CU to the whole of the UK.

But then, British politics and more snake oil. So that put paid to that again.

And that's how and why the WA deal you have, is the best you're going to get, unless May rows back on her red lines.

4 minutes ago, woodview said:

They won't though. So we'll have to agree to disagree.

I understand trade too, as I import and export EU and worldwide. I know there isn't a guy called Clive at the border with a clipboard and pen, counting how many oranges there are in each lorry, working out the import duty with his calculator and Big Book of Tariffs, getting the truck driver to write him a cheque.

That's because you're exporting and importing as an EU member state, within the context of 750 red tape-suppressing trade deals.

I was trained for international trade outside the EU 25 years ago, long before many of these trade deals were reached and implemented, and their trade-facilitating brought about, never mind electronically-simplified and -accelerated: Incoterms (CIF, FOB, EXW...), transfers, clearing, the works.

You've got it all to (re)discover.

Happy to agree to disagree about the RoI border: I'll have the last laugh either way :wink:

5 minutes ago, L00b said:

That's because you're exporting and importing as an EU member state, within the context of 750 red tape-suppressing trade deals.

I was trained for international trade outside the EU 25 years ago, long before many of these trade deals were reached and implemented, and their trade-facilitating brought about, never mind electronically-simplified and -accelerated: Incoterms (CIF, FOB, EXW...), transfers, clearing, the works.

You've got it all to (re)discover.

Happy to agree to disagree about the RoI border: I'll have the last laugh either way :wink:

I'll find out all about in a few weeks I suppose. I'll give you a call for a bit of subcontract consultancy, if my USA, NZ and Australia exports get stuck 😉