The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Weatherspoon staff are taking a stand against their boss, Tim Martin's use of his 1,100 pubs to promote a no deal Brexit.

A group called 'Spoon Workers Against Brexit' is also demanding the Living Wage, and trade union recognition for its 37,000 employees.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/28/anti-brexit-wetherspoon-staff-crusade-against-chain-bosss-propaganda-8402554/?ito=cbshare

Lovely :clap:

EU states are losing there individual identities that they once traded on. I notice Dormeo  mattresses now say "made in Europe" on them instead of "made it Italy.

Yes this DOES matter. For me, and I'm sure many other people, part of the appeal of buying one of those mattresses is that it was having a bit of Italian style in your house; how dare the wider EU appropriate it?!

Edited by Hots on

33 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Weatherspoon staff are taking a stand against their boss, Tim Martin's use of his 1,100 pubs to promote a no deal Brexit.

A group called 'Spoon Workers Against Brexit' is also demanding the Living Wage, and trade union recognition for its 37,000 employees.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/28/anti-brexit-wetherspoon-staff-crusade-against-chain-bosss-propaganda-8402554/?ito=cbshare

Lovely :clap:

How strange that workers should complain about their boss supporting a democratic decision the UK people made.

9 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

How strange that workers should complain about their boss supporting a democratic decision the UK people made.

In a democracy, people are allowed to protest and complain at whatever they want, if it's about their boss or otherwise.

Why would you think that strange? Do you think they should agree with the opinion and actions of the boss because he or she is the boss?

Do you think they should be so grateful that Wetherspoons gives them a job that they remain silent?

That would be strange indeed. 

Edited by Bargepole23

14 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

If I worked for Wetherspoons I'd be very concerned at the action of their boss.  He's been getting increasingly stranger and disconnected from the real world even since he abandoned social media and locked himself away in his ivory tower to make himself immune to any criticism or complaints.

His latest trick is to dump foreign drinks in favour of none-EU ones - except Proscecco of course, the dirty hypocrite. 

Australian brandy?  Really?  When I think of a nice brandy, I tend not to think of the Aussies.  He's also dumped Jagermeister in favour of a really odd unknown brand from Chorley, Lancs.

Edited by alchresearch

8 hours ago, apelike said:

I have not read anything about hitting us hard only that according to the BBC : "A no-deal Brexit threatens the UK's food security and will lead to higher prices and empty shelves in the short-term, retailers are warning." I'm not so sure who the brainwashed are anymore. 

oh thats ok then, i dont need to eat anything short term :rolleyes:

BBC News - US firms seek changes to UK standards on beef and drugs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47036119

US lobby groups for agriculture and pharmaceutical firms want UK standards to be changed to match those of the US in post-Brexit trade deals.

They want the sale of growth hormone-fed beef, currently banned in the UK and EU, to be allowed in the UK.

Sod that! 

American meat is horrendous, not to mention what it does to the animals. 

39 minutes ago, Hots on said:

EU states are losing there individual identities that they once traded on. I notice Dormeo  mattresses now say "made in Europe" on them instead of "made it Italy.

Yes this DOES matter. For me, and I'm sure many other people, part of the appeal of buying one of those mattresses is that it was having a bit of Italian style in your house; how dare the wider EU appropriate it?!

WOW you really are a snowflake, if little things like that affect you, its both Italian and EU. oh and when i google em all i get is a page full of UK web addresses and information...not very Italian :rolleyes:

seems for two pages of results i perused the term used most is Italian made / designed, but European does rear its head occasionly, most when talking about beds for the UK

29 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

In a democracy, people are allowed to protest and complain at whatever they want, if it's about their boss or otherwise.

Why would you think that strange? Do you think they should agree with the opinion and actions of the boss because he or she is the boss?

Do you think they should be so grateful that Wetherspoons gives them a job that they remain silent?

That would be strange indeed. 

You seem to have forgot that we have had the EU referendum vote. The democratic people have chosen to leave the EU.  Wetherspoon workers just like non Wetherspoon workers had their chance to voice their opinions via the ballot box. The workers complaining are trouble makers in my opinion.  The best think a boss can do when they have trouble makers working for them,  is to get rid of the trouble makers.