The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

It's in the continuum of preceding posts. But there's a great many more examples beyond Dormeo matresses.

It's one of main bones of contention about JIT supply routes in and out of the UK post-Brexit, the reason why UK assemblers are stockpiling EU27-sourced components, and the reason why EU27 assemblers are sourcing alternative EU27 suppliers to their existing UK suppliers: there aren't that many complex goods, that are still manufactured integrally in a single country, never mind a single place.

Objective factors like the percentage of 'local' (national) manufacturing relative to the finished product, and sometimes more subjective factors like marketing (do you prefer your Mini 'made in UK' or 'made in EU' or 'made in Europe'? Considering the extent of the assembling in the UK, all 3 are valid, but 'Mini' is still tightly associated with the UK by consumers the world over, on the back of the very long history of the classic model), all combine to dictate what goes on the " Made in" label. 

i did amend my post

1 hour ago, apelike said:

As I have not read that article which staple products would that be?

Fruit and Vegetables has already been mentioned, but I've also read that prices of bread could rise.

There's quite a worrying report that was in yesterday's Evening Standard regarding -The headline is scary, but it should be noted that the conclusions they reach are based on different scenarios - and the headline highlights the worse case sceario.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-could-lead-to-thousands-more-deaths-from-heart-attacks-and-strokes-due-to-spike-in-fruit-and-a4051186.html

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Fruit and Vegetables has already been mentioned, but I've also read that prices of bread could rise.

There's quite a worrying report that was in yesterday's Evening Standard regarding -The headline is scary, but it should be noted that the conclusions they reach are based on different scenarios - and the headline highlights the worse case sceario.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-could-lead-to-thousands-more-deaths-from-heart-attacks-and-strokes-due-to-spike-in-fruit-and-a4051186.html

12,000 could die due to brexit?? I think it could be more. It could cause an ebola outbreak, in which millions possibly die.

3 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

I've eaten meat in America and found it very tasty. And I'm pretty sure that the Americans would not eat it if they thought it was harmful.

And yet the EU has, African swine fever, and dodgy beef from Poland

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/12/uk-farmers-warned-alert-african-swine-fever-virus-hits-europe/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/27/secret-filming-shows-sick-cows-slaughtered-for-meat-in-poland

And forum posters are worried they may be eating American beef before long.

staple foods?

the CAP is far from perfect, but without the farm payments a lot of farms/farmers are out of business.

unless we're happy to pay a lot more for food?

(and that'll require high tariffs to protect british farmers, which will be a gift to any country looking for a trade deal - we'll be begging for a trade deal, any trade deal...)

2 minutes ago, ads36 said:

staple foods?

the CAP is far from perfect, but without the farm payments a lot of farms/farmers are out of business.

(and that'll require high tariffs to protect british farmers, which will be a gift to any country looking for a trade deal - we'll be begging for a trade deal, any trade deal...)

Mostly the French.

3 minutes ago, ads36 said:

staple foods?

The CAP is a subsidy to farmers, that we pay for through our taxes. It doesn't come from thin air.

But, when we leave CAP, a new UK mechanism needs to be put in place.