The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

12 minutes ago, apelike said:

As of 2016 76% of our staple food is UK grown and according to the latest reports the foods that may become scarce because of brexit are mainly out of season produce imported from the EU.

Are tomatoes, lettuce etc to be considered as seasonal now?

At least we'll have turnips, they can't deprive us of those.

Edited by SnailyBoy

21 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It’s alright if you have a few quid left. Not everyone has and that number could well increase.

Two way that we may actually benefit from that.

One: Increased costs may lead to less food wastage with around an estimated £13 Billion worth of food binned in the UK each year. Two: It may also lead to a decrease in obesity.

2 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

So you think the Americans don't mind being fed harmful food ?

A lot of them are probably not sufficiently educated in food choice to understand

And even if they do understand a lot are probably forced to eat low quality processed food because of financial pressures

Youre making the huge mistake of assuming that people always make perfect and fully informed choices. They don’t 

4 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Are tomatoes, lettuce etc to be considered as seasonal now?

If you’re lucky enough to get a turnip

3 minutes ago, apelike said:

One: Increased costs may lead to less food wastage with around an estimated £13 Billion worth of food binned in the UK each year. Two: It may also lead to a decrease in obesity.

We've thousands using food banks already and we still throw tonnes away. The second one is akin to sawing your own feet off to save money on shoes.

Edited by tinfoilhat

4 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

That just reminded me, together with the '6 million' remembrance thread for context, about my grandad and great aunt stories, when they were refugees in unoccupied France in 1941: when they got there, they had nothing else to eat for 4 months. And I mean that literally. It's all that was going spare locally, the only alternatives were poaching and stealing.

I had never seen them eat a turnip. Then they reminisced and brought that particular one up, and I understood why.

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

That's the spirit, spin the issues away.

21 minutes ago, L00b said:

They'll still be getting their (slowly decreasing) CAP payments for the (long-) foreseeable future.

Unlike Brit farmers in 2 months' time if you crash out.

Topically, personal insolvencies are reported today to be at a 7 year-high in the UK. What happened to full employment, record wage growth, ...?

The CAP is a subsidy based on EU contributions. British, German, French, Irish <etc> farmers' EU subsidies are getting paid from EU28 contributions.

I wouldn't put too much stock in a replacement subsidy, given the domestic political discourse of the past 2 years. UK farmers will be in the same boat as the rest of UK plc: left to fend for themselves.  

But perhaps no.11 can be persuaded to spend a few quids on leaflets about D-veg gardening-Y. "Dig for Brexit Victory", it's catchy :)

If there are any left,

https://www.euractiv.com/section/agriculture-food/news/one-french-farmer-commits-suicide-every-two-days-survey-says/?_ga=2.261722765.1475445576.1541407171-1163985002.1535963881

38 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

It instructed the Government to LEAVE the eu , simple as that . 

It didn't instruct the goverment to do anything.

Let's clear this up once and for all. Here is the actual legislation.  Have a look through it and show me where it instructs the government to do anything other than hold a referendum no later than 31 December 2017.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/36/section/1/enacted