The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

49 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Which is what?

Parliament still hasn't offered anything that is acceptable to them or the EU other than wishful thinking.

The EU know the Withdrawal Agreement on offer is acceptable to Parliament if the Backstop is removed.   If the EU won't budge or look for alternatives then the UK have no alternative but leave the EU on 29th March without a deal.

40 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Parliament voted for an amendment that states that no-deal is not acceptable.

It's not binding on the government, but it makes the opinion of parliament clear.

Over 17 million  UK people made it clear to  Parliament that they want to leave the EU. Leave won the democratic referendum vote.  Parliament have rejected the current deal on offer which means  no deal is going to happen if the EU won't remove the Backstop. 

So you're asking the EU to remove the clause which makes a hard border un-necessary ?

All these things we're asking them to do/accept, all these rules we want them to break. For our 'project', not theirs, and we then we accuse them of being intransigent? - for only meeting us half-way?

Is that right?

Edited by ads36

7 minutes ago, woodview said:

So you want a system in place to stop all illegal smuggling?

Of course, that's what we're obliged to do under WTO and our obligations at the UN.

And you have a starting point of a loser mentality that we'll have a fta with a place that allows that stuff?

Gibberish. It's not what a country allows, it's what it doesn't allow and how it proposes to police it.

As before, the UK has allowed that stuff in the past, so it's not necessarily a case of who we'll have an FTA with.. is it :hihi:

Are you against the GFA by saying, what's to stop people driving drugs across the NI border? No.

Driving anything overthat is banned on only one side to evade duty.

Ironically, that doesn't include drugs since they're illegal on both sides and are likely to remain so post Brexit :?

Anything can be a problem if you WANT it to be.

LOL, so the best plan is simply to ignore what's staring you directly in the face! :loopy:

Nobody is 'demanding' a hard border. Nobody wants one.

That no-one wants one doesn't mean there won't be one. There is no other way for the EU and the UK to uphold their obligations at the WTO, or the UN.

It isn't going to happen. You'll have to find another problem to try and de-rail it.

The simple fact that border requirments without some form of customs union/regulatory alignment is a no-brainer, means there will be a border without one.

Again, it's wishful thinking, or as the FT puts it... a "delusion" to suggest otherwise....nothing more.

1 minute ago, Lockdoctor said:

There isn't going to be a hard border regardless of whether the UK leave the EU with or without a deal.  

A delusion, for all the reasons that have already been expressed over and over ;)

There isn't going to be a hard border regardless of whether the UK leave the EU with or without a deal.  

which in the short-term*, can only mean 2 things :

staying in/close to, the customs union (May's original 'withdrawal agreement')

asking the EU to join us when we when break WTO rules.

(*between leaving, in a few weeks, and signing a trade-deal, which will take years**)

(**years have passed since we said we were leaving, we're still here, and we still haven't decided if we'll be gracious enough to pay our share. An actual trade-deal? i honestly don't think we're capable of such adult behaviour)

Edited by ads36

35 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Parliament have rejected the current deal on offer which means  no deal is going to happen if the EU won't remove the Backstop. 

I would bet you £10 that does not happen, I wonder what the odds are at the bookies?

33 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I would bet you £10 that does not happen, I wonder what the odds are at the bookies?

On Paddypower; No deal brexit?

Yes. No deal brexit (UK leaves the EU without withdrawal agreement in place) 3/1 

No. No (Withdrawal Agreement in place by 30-03-2019 or Article 50 extended/revoked) 1/5

40 minutes ago, El Cid said:

This is the Sheffield Forum and not a den for online gambling. 

Carolyn Fairbairn, head of the CBI, said: "I don't think there will be a single business this morning who is stopping or halting their no-deal planning as a result of what happened yesterday"

I think the head of the CBI has a better understanding of the situation than you.