The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

58 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

There isn't going to be a hard border regardless of whether the UK leave the EU with or without a deal.  

As someone whose understanding of the situation in Ireland is so poor that he needed The Belfast Agreement explaining to him on a number of occasions, I'm not sure you are in a position to make such a claim.

There are only five situations where there will not be a hard border in Ireland.

1. The UK in a permanent customs union with the EU.

2. Northern Ireland in a permanent customs union with the EU.

3. A united Ireland.

4. No brexit.

5. A withdrawl agreement that ends in a customs arrangement where tariffs are harmonised between the EU and the UK.

In the case of number 5, until that withdrawal agreement is finalised, Northern Ireland must remain in a customs union. That is the backstop and it can't have a time limit on it nor can it be cancelled unilaterally.

This is the reality of international relations. It pre dates the EU referendum and will certainly outlive this mess. Your crackpot idea that it is simply something conjoured out of the air to steal your precious Brexit is a nonsense.

Oh and by the way, you seem desperate to defend the democratic wishes of the 36% of the British electorate who voted to leave the EU but completely disinterested in the democratic wishes of the 94% of Irish people who voted for the Belfast Agreement.

4 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

This is the Sheffield Forum and not a den for online gambling. 

Carolyn Fairbairn, head of the CBI, said: "I don't think there will be a single business this morning who is stopping or halting their no-deal planning as a result of what happened yesterday"

I think the head of the CBI has a better understanding of the situation than you.

I would hope that they are planning as the far right drive us ever nearer to the worst option available.

Carolyn Fairbairn was very explicit in her  fears for our economic future if we allowed ourselves to sleepwalk into a No Deal.

Meanwhile the far right calls the tune as May prioritises a very temporary unity within  the Conservative party over and above the welfare of U.K. citizens.

She has been railroaded into reneging on her deal and despatched on mission impossible.

Some may admire her stubbornness,but in my opinion she should hand future negotiations over to Johnson,Rees Mogg or IDS,and say crack on and good luck.

I don’t want the eventual blame to be directed at anyone other these elitist fruitcakes

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I expect that the EU is legally obliged to police it's borders to states that are not part of the EU.  And even if it wasn't, it will absolutely want to, as should we.  How can we go on about illegal immigrants and then leave a border to a foreign state simple unmonitored?

Parliament voted for an amendment that states that no-deal is not acceptable.

It's not binding on the government, but it makes the opinion of parliament clear.

Maybe if does make it clear, but as we stand the default position is we leave on 29th March , deal or no deal. 

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

The EU know the Withdrawal Agreement on offer is acceptable to Parliament if the Backstop is removed.   If the EU won't budge or look for alternatives then the UK have no alternative but leave the EU on 29th March without a deal.

Correct ........

2 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

May has got a deal through Parliament and I think the EU will back down.  

Only a few weeks to wait to see if they do.

Accept it or not this is a U.K. self inflicted problem.

After more than 2 years of negotiations a WA was agreed and now May is trying to renege on the deal.

Our credibility is around zero and falling.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

May has got a deal through Parliament and I think the EU will back down.  

Only a few weeks to wait to see if they do.

Only reported by the BBC the other day that the French agricultural sector which runs a trade surplus with the UK worth £1.4 billion are getting a bit jittery about a no Brexit deal & having their goods piled up on their side of the Channel. 

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Only reported by the BBC the other day that the French agricultural sector which runs a trade surplus with the UK worth £1.4 billion are getting a bit jittery about a no Brexit deal & having their goods piled up on their side of the Channel. 

Please edit your post - i didnt say that at all!