The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

I  haven't seen any news reports  for either the UK,  the Republic of Ireland or the EU making preparations for building a hard border in time for March 29th  or any time after that date.   

so breaking the rules then.

we're off to a flying start with this international trade aren't we!

7 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

It was serious in 2017 when shelves were empty of fruit and veg because the EU were our main suppliers.  

Thanks to The Supermarkets who  acted quickly to fill the shelves with these items from none EU countries.

... using trade deals enjoyed as a member of the EU, and most likely, it was the wholesalers/suppliers that were doing the re-sourcing not the supermarkets themselves... a lot of those suppliers will be EU based companies :?

52 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

It was serious in 2017 when shelves were empty of fruit and veg because the EU were our main suppliers.  

Thanks to The Supermarkets who  acted quickly to fill the shelves with these items from none EU countries. 

I dont know what the profit margins were but if it  was all plain sailing they'd have stuck with non-EU suppliers.

And that's before we start talking about carbon footprints. 

4 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

The EU know the Withdrawal Agreement on offer is acceptable to Parliament if the Backstop is removed.   If the EU won't budge or look for alternatives then the UK have no alternative but leave the EU on 29th March without a deal.

Parliament have said that they won't accept a no-deal.

21 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Parliament have said that they won't accept a no-deal.

But both the Brady and Spelman amendments carry no weight, are non-binding on the government and May can just ignore them. The Spelman one seeking parliament to reject a no deal was only carried by 8 votes so not much of a display of parliaments wishes there.

Edited by apelike

Yes, they're not binding, but they make the intentions of parliament clear.

I find your dismissal of 8 votes to be highly ironic.  It's almost identical to the "majority" that brexit had amongst the public who bothered to vote.  Perhaps you'd like to recharacterise the vote to leave as "not much fo a display of the countries wishes there"?

I'd love to see you say that.

Edited by Cyclone