The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

34 minutes ago, apelike said:

So in order to avoid a question that you cant answer you then pose another question and answer it yourself!

Just as well I don't do facebook then.   :rolleyes:

I'm not quite sure how taking ten minutes to compose a 1000 word 5 paragraph, half page reply is avoiding answering the question lol 😂

The facebook comment wasn't aimed at you. If you asked the question you clearly wanted to hear an answer which is why I took the time to post one. The comment was aimed at those on here who seem to live in a bubble and spend most of their time with their fingers in their ears shouting ,I'm not listening!"

19 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The people of Ireland will be shocked to discover that the EU is willing to sell out the peace process by erecting a hard border to protect the profits of big business and punish the Brits for voting to Leave.

Of course, the reality is it's the UK that is behaving like a rouge nation here. Only the UK is proposing breaking it's commitments.

Say NO to an EU Frontier in Ireland that could bring back the long war. NO to the EU. NO to a hard border.

Say YES to CU membership, as Jezza discussed today, which solves nearly all the problems at the border.

Edited by Magilla

43 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The UK and the Irish Republic don't want a hard border. The EU is desperate for a hard border as it believes that people's lives are less important than profits for business.

No to an EU frontier in Ireland! Put people's lives before profit!

At least with a nice porous border, people will be able to come and go as the please between the EU and UK. 

Isn't that "free movement"?

15 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The people of Ireland will be shocked to discover that the EU is willing to sell out the peace process by erecting a hard border to protect the profits of big business and punish the Brits for voting to Leave.

Who would want to be a part of an organisation that plays politics with people's lives in such a way?

Say NO to an EU Frontier in Ireland that could bring back the long war. NO to the EU. NO to a hard border.

Rubbish - as much of the discussion here has been.

The UK doesn't want freedom of movement - it wants to shut its borders to people.

The EU doesn't want to.

The GFA doesn't allow a hard border, but the UK wants something that restricts movement of people and goods and yet is transparent- an impossibility.

The UK wants it's cake and to eat it and complains when it gets stomach ache.

5 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Rubbish - as much of the discussion here has been.

The UK doesn't want freedom of movement - it wants to shut its borders to people.

The EU doesn't want to.

The GFA doesn't allow a hard border, but the UK wants something that restricts movement of people and goods and yet is transparent- an impossibility.

The UK wants it's cake and to eat it and complains when it gets stomach ache.

The UK hasn't threatened to enforce a hard border on Ireland. 

The EU has.

27 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I'm not quite sure how taking ten minutes to compose a 1000 word 5 paragraph, half page reply is avoiding answering the question lol 😂

But the question I was asking was "... why this may cause a resurgence of terrorism" not "why wouldn't they."

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

I'm not so sure that dissident Republicans would attack an Irish Republic/EU controlled hard border.

They would certainly attack a border controlled by their historical enemy, the British. But with no Brits to attack, an Irish Republican killing another Irish Republican would not bring the support or funds the dissidents require for their armed campaign.

Why wouldn’t they attack it? Who said anything about killing people?

It is guaranteed that republicans would try and destroy the infrastructure. I think the twist this time would be attack’s from both sides of it.

15 minutes ago, apelike said:

But the question I was asking was "... why this may cause a resurgence of terrorism" not "why wouldn't they."

It’s a stupid question. It is guaranteed.

8 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Why wouldn’t they attack it? Who said anything about killing people?

It is guaranteed that republicans would try and destroy the infrastructure. I think the twist this time would be attack’s from both sides of it.

It’s a stupid question. It is guaranteed.

Irish Republican terrorists would certainly see any physical apparatus on the Northern Ireland side of the border as a representation of the UK state - and attack it. 

But if the EU enforces a hard border on the Irish Republic side (as it has stated will happen) manned by Irish personnel and Irish security forces, would it still be attacked? Is the Southern state hated as much as the British state by dissident Republicans?

9 minutes ago, Phanerothyme said:

Can someone explain to me why, post brexit,  it will make sense to have immigration controls at Dover, but not Derry?

Have you heard of 'The Troubles'?