The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

Car Boot stated he showed his passport which is a form of ID.  He didn't say a passport was required.  The point is checks are already made on people travelling from Northern Ireland to the mainland UK and will continue after we leave the EU on 29th March without a Brexit deal.

I've just come back on the ferry. Theres no ID check required.

There is no requirement for a passport between Eire and the UK. There ios the Common Travel Area....

59 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Not on ferries last time I went. Car with four people and no ID checks

The sensible thing to do is bring in new laws making it compulsory for all UK ferry and aviation passengers to show ID before being allowed to start a journey. When I say all the UK, I mean passengers travelling to and from the Isle of Wight as well as passengers travelling from Northern Ireland.

57 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The EU is proving to be extremely inconsistent in what it wants for the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

It has stated, and pushed it's puppet Leo Varadker to state, that a hard border will have to be enforced (presumably under an EU directive) on Ireland.

But in January this year the EU also stated that it supports a technological solution to avoid a hard border. What it has previously described as a 'fantasy island unicorn model' (when proposed by the British) becomes a "facilitative arrangements and technologies viable alternative to the backstop' when proposed by Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk in a joint letter earlier this month.

So the EU is playing a very dangerous game with Ireland. This proves the EU is dangerously irresponsible and working against peace in Ireland.

We all know the EU are using the Irish border situation in an attempt to get the decision the democratic UK people made over turned. The UK are one of the biggest contributors to the EU budget as well as having a massive trade deficit with other EU members. If the EU was a football squad of 28 members, then the UK would be the EU's most valuable player.  No struggling football team want to lose their most valuable player, which is why the EU are so desperate for the UK to remain in the EU and will use all the dirty tricks in the book to attempt to do so.

It goes without saying that remain voters,  who don't respect democracy and still want the UK to remain in the EU are also using the Irish border situation in a hope to get the democratic decision, the UK people made over turned.  Absolutely shameless behaviour.

Edited by Lockdoctor

14 minutes ago, Obelix said:

I've just come back on the ferry. Theres no ID check required.

There is no requirement for a passport between Eire and the UK. There ios the Common Travel Area....

I've always had to show photo ID. During the conflict, and in the years afterwards...

But I always fly.

The Irish people will not tolerate an EU enforced hard border in Ireland.

Irish peace BEFORE EU profit. 

NO to an EU frontier in Ireland. NO to a hard EU border.

Edited by Car Boot

13 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The sensible thing to do is bring in new laws making it compulsory for all UK ferry and aviation passengers to show ID before being allowed to start a journey. When I say all the UK, I mean passengers travelling to and from the Isle of Wight as well as passengers travelling from Northern Ireland.

We all know the EU are using the Irish border situation in an attempt to get the decision the democratic UK people made over turned. The UK are one of the biggest contributors to the EU budget as well as having a massive trade deficit with other EU members. If the EU was a football squad of 28 members, then the UK would be the EU's most valuable player.  No struggling football team want to lose their most valuable player, which is why the EU are so desperate for the UK to remain in the EU and will use all the dirty tricks in the book to attempt to do so.

It goes without saying that remain voters,  who don't respect democracy and still want the UK to remain in the EU are also using the Irish border situation in a hope to get the democratic decision, the UK people made over turned.  Absolutely shameless behaviour.

You live on a completely different plane of existence to the rest us don't you? This was always going to happen. We were told all this in 2016. The democratic people voted for it, and gave little or no consideration to the Irish border. Now it's "look it's not fair, we don't want THAT border enforced, just all the other ones"

Pathetic.

44 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

There has NEVER been a truly hard border in Ireland. Even during the height of The Troubles it was porous, with hundreds of crossings, and smuggling was rife.

Definately sounds like measures will be need to mitigate then :rolleyes:

20, 000 British soldiers could not enforce a hard border - but the EU believes that it can.

It has to try, as does the UK, for all the reasons that have already been made clear.

The EU wants to bring back the queuing and the questioning, which the people will not tolerate. NO to the EU. NO to an EU hard border.

Nonsense, the UK is the rogue state here, only the UK is suggesting it's considering not upholding it's commitments under international law.

The referendum was *specifically* about securing our borders!

As usual, a delusion. Which is why your avatar is looking for a customs union :hihi:

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47055188

Don't remember this being on that bus.

Or this...

Barclays shifts billions of pounds to Dublin because of Brexit

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47060676

Just imagine the number of businesses moving but keeping a low profile!

Edited by Magilla

the EU really are very clever aren't they?

they don't want us to leave, they'll use every trick in the book, but they also want us to leave, so they can enforce a hard Irish border...

Edited by ads36

22 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The Irish people will not tolerate an EU enforced hard border in Ireland.

Irish peace BEFORE EU profit. 

NO to an EU frontier in Ireland. NO to a hard EU border.

For someone who claims to have ties with Ireland, you're showing a very large knowledge deficit, about

(i) who the Irish are blaming for the prospect of (temporary) economic hardship, borders and everything else caused by the UK since June 2016 (they have good journalism as a rule, rather than an exception - the exact contrary of the UK); and

(ii) how the Irish are setting about escaping their historic reliance on the UK for business, as a result of the UK's behaviour and decisions since June 2016 (put it that way: new ferry routes and superscale ferries like MV Celine, all implemented to bypass the UK entirely, are the visible tip of the iceberg).

Keep up with the brainless "the end is nigh"-like soapboxing, makes it all the easier for readers to pigeonhole you and your 'contributions'.

Edited by L00b

7 minutes ago, L00b said:

Keep up with the brainless "the end is nigh"-like soapboxing, makes it all the easier for readers to pigeonhole you and your 'contributions'.

Pffft.... that ship sailed a long long time ago ;)

Brexit is a ‘God-given opportunity’ to steal trade from UK: Wilbur Ross

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/27/brexit-is-a-god-given-opportunity-to-steal-trade-from-uk-wilbur-ross.html

23 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

You live on a completely different plane of existence to the rest us don't you? This was always going to happen. We were told all this in 2016. The democratic people voted for it, and gave little or no consideration to the Irish border. Now it's "look it's not fair, we don't want THAT border enforced, just all the other ones".

Pathetic.

Yes, the democratic people were warned about the Irish border before the referendum vote.  I remember Tony Blair and John Major holding joint events to  publicise potential problems leaving the EU might create.  The democratic people decided to ignore the warnings.  Personally I don't care if there is a hard border and the UK army use drones to take out any troublemakers or any other means.  However our own Government has stated there won't be a hard border regardless of whether there is a Brexit deal.  The Republic of Ireland have stated they don't want a hard border and the EU have also stated previously they don't want a hard border.  There isn't going to be a hard border.

I live on a different plain of existence to you because I respect democracy and I can see the Irish border for what it is, and that is a smokescreen.

Edited by Lockdoctor