The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

31 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Building walls,creating obstacles,adding costs by taking measures to circumvent the problems caused by Brexit.

Endless discussion on who will be most badly hurt by a no deal Brexit.

Ever reducing home and overseas investment into the U.K.

No discussion on the benefits to be enjoyed in the foreseeable future as a result of our withdrawal from the EU.

What an utter mess we have needlessly created.

Isolationists, nationalists and assorted other narrow-minded ideologues are rarely the bridge-building type, if ever.

Why be surprised, when Brexit has come to be the epitome of narrow-minded isolationism.

EDIT: topically, I just saw that Martin Selmayr has been formally handed the Brexit reins at the Commission. Juncker is a bridge-builder. Selmayr is not, he's a Maybot-like my-way-or-the-highway type. Leavers, prepare to hate him far more than Juncker. UK...you're in more trouble now, I'm afraid. This is not a good development.

Edited by L00b

13 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

It’s a stupid question. It is guaranteed.

Of course its not guaranteed and the GFA also does not mention anything about border controls. Both side of Ireland have enjoyed a peaceful time and just because a border is in place its hard and illogical think they will not still want that peace, because if that peace is broken then it almost guarantees that there will be no reunification of Ireland in any near future. 

Edited by apelike

EU has blown a hole in the backstop, Nigel Dodds claims

“In recent days we’ve heard the Irish prime minister talk about bringing his troops up to the border in the event of no deal, we’ve heard the Irish deputy foreign minister talk of people jumping out of windows – isn’t this highly-reckless talk extremely dangerous in the present circumstances?

"That sort of rhetoric should be toned down and instead focused on what Michel Barnier said the other day – that even in the event of a no deal we would sit down and find operational ways to have checks and controls away from the border."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/eu-has-blown-a-hole-in-the-backstop-nigel-dodds-claims-37765859.html

Checks and controls away from the border are the solution. An EU enforced hard border in Ireland will pose a serious risk to people's lives and security. Is this a price worth paying to protect the profits of the Single Market? The EU certainly thinks so. Most sane people don't.

Time to put Irish Peace BEFORE EU profit. NO to the EU hard border.

That sort of rhetoric should be toned down and instead focused on what Michel Barnier said the other day – that even in the event of a no deal we would sit down and find operational way

Edited by Car Boot

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Nope. Long-habituated to his claims in the Brexit context as I am, through the Irish forum that I frequent, I'm happy to confirm that Wilson is indeed so dense, the light bends around him.

Likewise for David (we'll have trade deals negotiated by September 2018) Davis, Dominic (I've come to realise the Dover-Calais route is most important) Raab, and Boris Johnson (...where do I even begin with him?)

With all due respect, you are a foreigner and don't get British humour.

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

I think yesterday people on here were worrying about the impact of Brexit of food prices. Well fear not.

Sammy Wilson, DUP member (you'll have seen him on political programmes with a bright red face) has said that if there are food shortages in supermarkets , people should go to the chippy instead.

Genius. 

I think this is a modern take on Marie Antionette's famous phrase "Let them eat cake".

What a prime gammon 

And yet ASDA were giving away free veg after Christmas.