The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

37 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

According to the BBC this morning, once we leave, goods, (presumably  they mean UK export & those made here for our market), which currently have the 'CE' safety  mark, won't be able to use this safety designation as it's basically an EU protected trademark. 

Already some in the business sector have stated that a new safety mark will have to be introduced & this will push up costs.  Why? 

Is it just me who's beginning to feel that some in business will use any opportunity to use Brexit as a way to increase prices?

Also I'm old enough to remember the old British Standards kite mark that was perfectly acceptable until it was phased out in the 1990's to be replaced by the CE mark.  I don't see why it should cost a fortune to return to this? 

Simpletons with simple understanding. 

Changing the mark on the packaging is only one aspect of increasing the costs. Ensuring that we comply with legislation is where the bulk of the costs will be. There is no guarantee that there will be a direct commonality between future EU and U.K. legislation. So there will suddenly be an extra set of tests and legislation manufacturers will need to be sure they comply with if they want to sell their goods in the EU and U.K.  Who do you think will bear the extra cost?

12 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

We will of course have to continue to comply with EU legislation to sell goods into the EU and presumably to mark them CE.  We won't have any say over what those standards are though.

The poster stated the news report suggested the UK won't be allowed to use the CE mark because it is registered trade mark.   It is quite correct that  UK companies will have to comply with EU legislation , if they wish to export goods to EU countries.  Does the UK have any say in American legislation and their standards because the UK export goods to American and other countries which are not in the EU?

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

I agree with what you write.  It shouldn't be a big deal to replace the CE safety label with a British safety label  and keeping the same safety legislation.  Too many people like to look for problems.

There is little effort involved in looking for the many problems that have already been caused by Brexit,and will be of greater consequence for years to come.

What is much more elusive are the benefits that we can look forward to ,which will make this momentous shift worthwhile.

The prospect of a no deal Brexit should horrify anyone who cares about the livelihoods of many of our population.

It may have been somewhat of a bargaining chip earlier on in negotiations,but if our government does not get its act together,it could be the result that no one(sane) wanted.

So once again you Brexiteers,where will we get the benefits?

4 minutes ago, RJRB said:

There is little effort involved in looking for the many problems that have already been caused by Brexit,and will be of greater consequence for years to come.

What is much more elusive are the benefits that we can look forward to ,which will make this momentous shift worthwhile.

The prospect of a no deal Brexit should horrify anyone who cares about the livelihoods of many of our population.

It may have been somewhat of a bargaining chip earlier on in negotiations,but if our government does not get its act together,it could be the result that no one(sane) wanted.

So once again you Brexiteers,where will we get the benefits?

Peace and quiet from the moaning of remoaners?

1 hour ago, retep said:

Peace and quiet from the moaning of remoaners?

Another proper Brexiteers answer.

Provide a list of the tangible benefits of Brexit, that we don't currently have.

2 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

I agree with what you write.  It shouldn't be a big deal to replace the CE safety label with a British safety label  and keeping the same safety legislation.  Too many people like to look for problems.

What's the process of CE marking a product?

Is it something you are currently involved in? I'm involved in a small part of it for my current employer. It's an onerous, and therefore expensive process. Unless our new UK standards stay in lock step with EU ones, then that's more expense for business to bear.

Just like they currently do to meet US standards. 

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Is it something you are currently involved in? I'm involved in a small part of it for my current employer. It's an onerous, and therefore expensive process. Unless our new UK standards stay in lock step with EU ones, then that's more expense for business to bear.

Just like they currently do to meet US standards. 

I expect our new UK standards to at least equal the EU ones.  I expect our Parliament and law makers to ensure there is no lowing of UK standards.  I assume the current EU standards will be the default setting for UK standards when we leave the EU on 29th March. 

The decision for the UK to leave the EU has been made and no doubt many businesses will have to bear some expense as a consequence.  It is nothing new for businesses to bear expenses whenever there is a change in legislation.