The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The pleading letter that the government sent to Nissan only two months after the referendum doesn't exactly show massive confidence in Brexit's bright new tomorrow, does it? 🙄

After watching quite a few interviews with Nissan workers in Sunderland it seems like most of them don't blame brexit.

2 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

After watching quite a few interviews with Nissan workers in Sunderland it seems like most of them don't blame brexit.

You mean the Leave voting workers of Nissan? Of course they don't, after all, Brexiteers are perfectly happy to accept the consequences of Brexit in exchange for sovereignty and other indefinable benefits.

58 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

You mean the Leave voting workers of Nissan? Of course they don't, after all, Brexiteers are perfectly happy to accept the consequences of Brexit in exchange for sovereignty and other indefinable benefits.

They unlike you and me have a vested interest in Nissan. 

I wouldn't put too much faith in the opinions of three or four interviews from a workforce of several thousand. Also a "Sunderland Brexit voter doesn't blame Brexit for Nissan decision" is a more catchy story. I'm not saying that those interviews were unrepresentative but they do need to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

One reason why the shift from Leave to Remain is slower than would be expected is that people would prefer to look stupid than look wrong. A sociologist on one of the better news programes just before Xmas said that the true split between Leave and Remain could now be as high as 75% in favour of Remain but this is masked by people's reluctance to admit that they were wrong in 2016.

The problem that Brexiteers have if a second referendum returns a Remain vote of over 75%, is that it will then be virtually impossible to argue that the vote should not have gone ahead.

22 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

They unlike you and me have a vested interest in Nissan. 

They do? They did a great job convincing their peers, didn't they? No matter how you view this, jobs are being lost because of Brexit. So regardless of vested interests, why don't you explain how this benefits the country?

29 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I wouldn't put too much faith in the opinions of three or four interviews from a workforce of several thousand. Also a "Sunderland Brexit voter doesn't blame Brexit for Nissan decision" is a more catchy story.

I'm not saying that those interviews were unrepresentative but they do need to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

One reason why the shift from Leave to Remain is slower than would be expected is that people would prefer to look stupid than look wrong. A sociologist on one of the better news programes just before Xmas said that the true split between Leave and Remain could now be as high as 75% in favour of Remain but this is masked by people's reluctance to admit that they were wrong in 2016.

The problem that Brexiteers have if a second referendum returns a Remain vote of over 75%, is that it will then be virtually impossible to argue that the vote should not have gone ahead.

How do you know how many Nissan workers voted brexit?

Sunderland

Leave 61.3% 82,394 votes
Remain 38.7% 51,930 votes

I read that 7,000 work directly for nissan, and with 52k votes, they could be amongst them?

I don't know obviously.

-

second bold,

so worker comments taken with finch of salt, but one sociologist is to believed?

Bit scatty that post for me.
35 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I've said, I'm ok to go with a second one, if the choice is No deal or remain.