The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

31 minutes ago, woodview said:

IMO not joining in makes no-deal more likely.

Join in, do your best, if it doesn't work it is clear you did your best and it didn't work.

The position looks to me like he is either super-stubborn, or doesn't actually having anything constructive to add. Maybe either or both is true.

If that's the case then there needs to be a discussion between the rank and file mp's  or 'leaders' of the sub-groups.

Perhaps, I'm not saying I agree with it, but I can understand it.

He has made a constructive suggestion (IMO), a sensible compromise given the narrowness of the vote.

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

To be fair I don't really agree with much Corbyn does, however, I can understand why he's reluctant to get involved with something that might end up with no-deal.

He has joined in to help avoid no-deal, by asking May to ensure it doesn't happen.

He’s only done that towards killing off the notion of a 2nd referendum. He’s still after a GE.

39 minutes ago, woodview said:

So, what's the next step?

Maybe they should both drop some ridiculous/nonsensical red lines?

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

He’s only done that towards killing off the notion of a 2nd referendum. He’s still after a GE.

Indeed, ain't gunna happen (IMV).

9 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Maybe they should both drop some ridiculous/nonsensical red lines?

Indeed, ain't gunna happen (IMV).

yes, they'll have to be blurred or bendy lines.

Get close to what you want. Or try to eliminate or reduce the worst aspects of the thing you don't want.

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

And if that is not possible then we go for the solution which does least harm to the people of the UK, ie remain in the EU.

There should be no talk of either no-deal or Remain.

Locked in a room until they come out with a deal that they will vote for.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Europe doesn't want us to leave with "no deal".

Surely keeping it on the table is the last little bargaining chip we have in getting some more concessions?

We've spent two and a half years squeezing all the concessions out of the EU we're going to get using that threat. They are now both ready to accept us leaving without a deal and better prepared for it than we are [1].

Keeping no deal on the table now is more about pushing our MPs to accept a bad deal that avoids May having to compromise on her red lines.

[1] Preparations will include many EU27 towns/cities having people ready to persuade UK companies with cross channel supply chains to move their factories to their town/city. c.f. Their wooing of financial institutions at risk of losing passporting rights.

8 minutes ago, woodview said:

There should be no talk of either no-deal or Remain.

Locked in a room until they come out with a deal that they will vote for.

Only problem is, the U.K. is not negotiating a deal in a vacuum, there’s two sides to the table. And the other side pays the piper and names the tunes.

So unless May drops (some of) her red lines, resulting in a softer Brexiting withdrawal agreement (necessarily so, to remove a need for a backstop), that would be a pointless exercise in (yet more) time-wasting.

Edited by L00b