The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

We don't have a no deal trading arrangement with the USA.

We have a deal brokered through the EU. Thats why we dont have chlorine washed chicken on the shelves for a start...

To be clear, in and amongst the 750-odd deals (including FTAs) which the EU has reached with third-party countries over time and which are currently in force,  the EU (-28,  including the UK) have very many bilateral deals with the US in very many walks of trade and regulatory life. Open Skies is a typical example.

The UK currently trades as it does with third-party countries like the US, Japan, Korea, Canada <etc.> on that basis....

...For another 75 days. Then it loses the benefit of their trade-facilitating effects, and is back to day zero of trade and regulatory negotiations with each of these third-party countries and the EU27 and the EEA/EFTA countries, overnight.

Unless the EU asks those third-party countries, nicely, to maintain the effects for the UK during the transition period (if there is one), notwithstanding the legal fact of the UK exiting the scope of these trade deals when it loses its EU membership. And the third-party countries agree (those with less clout than the EU likely would without a fuss; but then, quid of US, China, India...?)

Now, after how the UK government treated the EU for the past 2 years, someone please explain to me why the EU should do something nice like that for the UK? Especially if the UK doesn't pay its dues, as many on here are so keen?

Posters with a toddler's understanding of economics and geopolitics are excused.

Edited by L00b

17 hours ago, Car Boot said:

I have spoken to many Remain voters who, like you, respected the democratic result of the June 2016 referendum and now support the UK Leaving the EU.

It's honourable, and refreshing, to see that the deliberate chaos inspired by a Remainer Prime Minister and her Remainer Chancellor (with their entrusted Remainer top civil servant) who together negotiated a fake Brexit haven't caused you to question the desirability of Leaving the EU. As has been their intent from the beginning.

I  think my views are shared by the majority of Remain voters.  The views expressed by the majority of Remain voters who post in the Sheffield Forum don't mirror normal Remain voters views throughout the UK.  

18 hours ago, L00b said:

You need to familiarise yourself a bit about the Scottish Indyref1 (or ask your GRU handler for a crib sheet), because you clearly are not familiar with the expression "significant and material change in circumstances" and its constitutional relevance to a Scottish Indyref given the context of Brexit: Brexit, ie honouring the 2016 referendum result, is exactly what justifies the SNP's call for an Indyref2. The timing of which relative to the first one, is completely and utterly irrelevant.

That's democracy in action. 'Self-determination', actually. We on the Continent like the Scots and the Irish. Lots. For Scotland, I can easily see fast-tracking onto associate EU membership (EEA grade) in a matter of months, with full EU membership inside 2 years. Not so much for the Welsh, though. I doubt their economy is convergent enough now, never mind after some further Brexit-caused industrial desertification.

Maybe we should also be looking to help the Basques, Catalase & the Corsicans with their self determination? 

19 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I  think my views are shared by the majority of Remain voters.  The views expressed by the majority of Remain voters who post in the Sheffield Forum don't mirror normal Remain voters views throughout the UK.  

Although anecdotal I was taking the dog for a walk yesterday and bumped into a friend who didn't vote. He said he was fed up with politicians and if another vote was called he would now vote leave.

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Maybe we should also be looking to help the Basques, Catalase & the Corsicans with their self determination? 

No ideological problem with that at all, here.

I particularly like the Corsicans out of that lot, have a lot of history with the place and several long-term friends there. But for all their seceding noises (by the few), the vast majority know full well that they can't (yet) support themselves economically, without the French state subsidies.

Very different situation (in fact, opposite) with the Catalans, who are one of Spain's economic lungs (if not the biggest).

But then, none of them have had a legal referendum like the Scots got, and none of them have a constitutional garantee of a rerun in case of significand and material changes to circumstances after an earlier referendum, do they?

Maybe you should brush before your front door, before whattabouting.

Edited by L00b

42 minutes ago, mafya said:

Yes there will be consequences to a no deal but it won’t be as bad as you remainers make out.

You have no idea though, do you?

You seem to do nothing but post silly slogans and make unfounded claims on here and now you are claiming to know better than the literally thousands of businesses and political organisations spending billions to mitigate the effects of a possible no deal.

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You have no idea though, do you?

You seem to do nothing but post silly slogans and make unfounded claims on here and now you are claiming to know better than the literally thousands of businesses and political organisations spending billions to mitigate the effects of a possible no deal.

No I don’t claim to know better then anyone about brexit so stop assuming things.  

27 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

And now for some patronising by high-profile Germans. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46918009

Compared to our leading lights in the Brexit campaign :loopy:

Boris Johnson interviewed at JCB this morning, "I didn’t say anything about Turkey in the referendum"!

Anyone spot the flaw in this statement? :hihi:

Then, of course, the final irony:

Edited by Magilla

3 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

I disagree - I think that the views on here mirror the rest of the uk.

Oh, hold on, 2 people expressing opinions with no basis in fact... deja vu anyone?

3 hours ago, mafya said:

Yes there will be consequences to a no deal but it won’t be as bad as you remainers make out.

But here you claim that it won't be as bad as 'you remainers' make out - if that isn't a crystal ball-gazing claim, then I don't know what is?

What are tomorrow's lottery numbers?