The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

39 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

A predicted possibility cannot be a lie if the outcome is possible. It's spin. It's what politicians do to get what they want. Like the Labour example above in 2004, and throughout their government really. I don't believe many voters thought the entire population of Turkey would migrate to the UK as soon as they joined the EU.

Turkey weren't going to join the EU despite the Leave campaign saying it was.

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

Some other unlikely predictions at the time included that in the immediate aftermath of a leave vote, there'd be an economic shock, a house price crash, a punishing emergency budget, etc. All from the remain campaign. How did those predictions pan out?

The economic shock was lessened by a nice fat chunk of quantitative easing by the BoE and the pound dropped by 15%.  I’ve no doubt Osborn would have given a punishing budget - he was a fan of those without brexit - but he wasn’t in a position to do so. 

14 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Because it wasn't a lie. A lie is something that isn't true. If Turkey joined the EU, then up to 74 million people would be free to migrate to the UK, by law. That's true, not false. 

Turkey isn’t going to join the EU. So it’s a lie.

There are no ways around that. It was complete lies.

Do we need to start posting what the Leave campaign said, their posters etc..

Im happy to do it and make you look stupid.

Let me know

1 minute ago, I1L2T3 said:

Turkey isn’t going to join the EU. So it’s a lie.

There are no ways around that. It was complete lies.

Do we need to start posting what the Leave campaign said, their posters etc..

Im happy to do it and make you look stupid.

Let me know

Turkey may or may not join the EU. It's a possibility. Who knows?

Post what you like, I'm going to sleep. Something to look forward to in the morning.

5 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Post what you like, I'm going to sleep. Something to look forward to in the morning.

Lol - here we go again - the Brexiteers 0.01% probability of Turkey joining has to have the same chance of the 99.99% probability of them not joining.

4 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Explain how it is possible. Turkey has spent 30 years trying to prepare and every year is getting further away from meeting the three dozen entry criteria

Vote Leave online poster:

“Turkey (population 76 million) is joining the EU. Vote Leave, take back control.”

That does state it as a possibility. It states it as an unequivocal fact. Which is a lie.

There are many examples. Do you want to give up now or shall I drip feed them into this thread bit by bit

8 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Explain how it is possible. Turkey has spent 30 years trying to prepare and every year is getting further away from meeting the three dozen entry criteria

Vote Leave online poster:

“Turkey (population 76 million) is joining the EU. Vote Leave, take back control.”

That does state it as a possibility. It states it as an unequivocal fact. Which is a lie.

There are many examples. Do you want to give up now or shall I drip feed them into this thread bit by bit

No, I agree the wording of that is a lie as opposed to an unlikely prediction. "Could be" rather than "is" would've been  the latter. On the other, the remain campaign told lies too.

Turkey and the EU are actively involved in accession negotiations. That is happening now.

In the current state of affairs, them joining in the short term is highly unlikely. In the longer term it is much more likely.

Calling it a lie, and declaring it as an imminent probability are both false, and said by people of similar mentalities of different political opinions.

29 minutes ago, woodview said:

Turkey and the EU are actively involved in accession negotiations. That is happening now.

In the current state of affairs, them joining in the short term is highly unlikely. In the longer term it is much more likely.

Calling it a lie, and declaring it as an imminent probability are both false, and said by people of similar mentalities of different political opinions.

What are you smoking? You just keep on digging. Turkey’s ascension is nowhere near straightforward. By just stating that talks are being held is very disengenuous. They are not progressing one iota. The talks not progressing is the LEAST of their problems. As long as the Cyprus situation isn’t resolved then absolutely nothing will be happening. 

10 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Because it wasn't a lie. A lie is something that isn't true. If Turkey joined the EU, then up to 74 million people would be free to migrate to the UK, by law.  

thats a stupid argument and you must know that, extending it to even more absurd ends then 500 million people could turn up on your doorstep tomorrow wanting to stop. 

there are plenty of limits and controls on the freedom of movement, the fact that our institutions which are charged with enforcing and applying those controls are incapable of doing that is a failure of our domestic politicians not the EU.

anyway, if they all came over here, we could all go over there, at least the weather would generally be better!