The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

5 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

What are you smoking? You just keep on digging. Turkey’s ascension is nowhere near straightforward. By just stating that talks are being held is very disengenuous. They are not progressing one iota. The talks not progressing is the LEAST of their problems. As long as the Cyprus situation isn’t resolved then absolutely nothing will be happening. 

Think you are getting posters muddled up. This is my 1st post on Turkey. Did you read the bit where I wrote "them joining in the short term is highly unlikely" , or did you just ignore it, because it didn't fit your one track agenda.

This forum and British politics ( as Corbyn is demonstrating) has way too many people who can only see one side of the coin.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

Turkey and the EU are actively involved in accession negotiations. That is happening now.

No, they are not, MEPs voted overwhelmingly to suspend negotiations with Turkey over human rights and rule of law concerns in 2016.

Even if they hadn't, to accede to the EU, Turkey must successfully complete 33 of the 35 chapters of the acquis communautaire. Last time I checked, they've managed to complete 1 (and a bit) over the last 20 years (and they're now going backwards in that regard).

When Juncker won the election and became the new president of the EU in 2014, he promised that Turkey would never join the European Union while he were President, saying that Turkey had turned its back on European democratic values.

Edited by Magilla

2 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

No, I agree the wording of that is a lie as opposed to an unlikely prediction. "Could be" rather than "is" would've been  the latter. On the other, the remain campaign told lies too.

That’s what I’m talking about: lies regarding Turkey during the campaign.

Remain has got nothing to do with that. 

4 minutes ago, woodview said:

Think you are getting posters muddled up. This is my 1st post on Turkey. Did you read the bit where I wrote "them joining in the short term is highly unlikely" , or did you just ignore it, because it didn't fit your one track agenda.

This forum and British politics ( as Corbyn is demonstrating) has way too many people who can only see one side of the coin.

Again, the Leave campaigns tried to create the impression that Turkey joining the EU was a done deal and imminent.

That couldn’t be further from the truth. It really couldn’t

16 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

thats a stupid argument and you must know that, extending it to even more absurd ends then 500 million people could turn up on your doorstep tomorrow wanting to stop. 

there are plenty of limits and controls on the freedom of movement, the fact that our institutions which are charged with enforcing and applying those controls are incapable of doing that is a failure of our domestic politicians not the EU.

anyway, if they all came over here, we could all go over there, at least the weather would generally be better!

The alternative put forward is reconnecting with the Commonwealth, and it’s 2bn citizens (including 500m Muslims)

British businesses demand cheap labour, and that is where Leave leaders are looking.  Only with reduced pay, rights and conditions added to the mix

Edited by I1L2T3

11 minutes ago, Magilla said:

No, they are not, MEPs vote overwhelmingly to suspend negotiations with Turkey over human rights and rule of law concerns in 2016.

Even if they hadn't, to accede to the EU, Turkey must successfully complete 33 of the 35 chapters of the acquis communautaire. Last time I checked, they've managed to complete 1 (and a bit) over the last 20 years (and they're now going backwards in that regard).

When Juncker won the election and became the new president of the EU in 2014, he promised that Turkey would never join the European Union while he were President, saying that Turkey had turned its back on European democratic values.

For you and EZ , here's a bit of my post:

them joining in the short term is highly unlikely. In the longer term it is much more likely"

Reading what people have written is key to understanding their point

10 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

That’s what I’m talking about: lies regarding Turkey during the campaign.

Remain has got nothing to do with that. 

Again, the Leave campaigns tried to create the impression that Turkey joining the EU was a done deal and imminent.

That couldn’t be further from the truth. It really couldn’t

I'm not in the Leave campaign. I'm having a discussion on a forum about what I think, with people who are talking about what they think.

7 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Yes it has, remain told lies too, on other subjects.

So what, we were talking about Turkey.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

And if both sides told lies then it adds to the argument that the referendum is invalid, especially with the proven burden of criminality and alleged criminality of the leave side.

Let’s keep going with this. It’s good 

6 minutes ago, woodview said:

them joining in the short term is highly unlikely. In the longer term it is much more likely"

I'm not in the Leave campaign. I'm having a discussion on a forum about what I think, with people who are talking about what they think.

But you are convinced (incorrectly) that Turkey is going to join the EU, and are defending the lies told by the leave campaigns about Turkey joining the EU

Edited by I1L2T3

Just now, woodview said:

Again, no.

Angela Merkel and Martin Schulz both said that they would end Turkey's membership talks with the European Union.

In 2017, the EU summarized the state of affairs: "In law Turkey is still a candidate, in fact, it is not. Nobody believes in Brussels or in Ankara for that matter that Turkey will eventually join the European Union."

Just now, woodview said:

I did understand your point, hence I can categorically state that you are completely wrong :?

6 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Again, no.

Angela Merkel and Martin Schulz both said that they would end Turkey's membership talks with the European Union.

In 2017, the EU summarized the state of affairs: "In law Turkey is still a candidate, in fact, it is not. Nobody believes in Brussels or in Ankara for that matter that Turkey will eventually join the European Union."

I did understand your point, hence I can categorically state that you are completely wrong :?

So, you are saying they won't ever join, anything else is a lie???

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

So, you are saying they won't ever join, anything else is a lie???

It was a lie to suggest they could join anytime soon.

As things stand they will never join.

And if Turkey did converge with the three dozen acceptance criteria then it would be a modern democracy and there wouldn’t be too much to worry about

Apart from Turkish people coming here of course

But it was never about immigration was it.....