The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

9 minutes ago, woodview said:

So, you are saying they won't ever join, anything else is a lie???

It's as much of a lie as my suggesting that the UK will be hit and wiped out by an asteriod "at some point" in the future.

I mean, it could happen, but there is zero evidence currently that it ever will.

Edited by Magilla

2 minutes ago, Magilla said:

It's as much of a lie as my suggesting that the UK will be hit and wiped out by an asteriod "at some point" in the future.

I mean, it could happen, but there is zero evidence currently that it ever will.

that will never happen as long as we can launch Bruce Willis at one

Edited by andyofborg

5 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

It was a lie to suggest they could join anytime soon.

As things stand they will never join.

And if Turkey did converge with the three dozen acceptance criteria then it would be a modern democracy and there wouldn’t be too much to worry about

Apart from Turkish people coming here of course

But it was never about immigration was it.....

So they can join in future.

A country joining that would be become the largest single member, and therefore the largest voting member, which has power of veto or some issues, which us a muslim country is a concern yes. It marks a major shift in policy making in Europe.

10 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

It was a lie to suggest they could join anytime soon.

As things stand they will never join.

And if Turkey did converge with the three dozen acceptance criteria then it would be a modern democracy and there wouldn’t be too much to worry about

Apart from Turkish people coming here of course

But it was never about immigration was it.....

Seems odd the membership process hasn't been scrapped instead of suspended.

7 minutes ago, woodview said:

A country joining that would be become the largest single member, and therefore the largest voting member, which has power of veto or some issues, which us a muslim country is a concern yes. It marks a major shift in policy making in Europe.

Well Israel could join in future, in theory

But it is never going to hapoen

Once again we are talking about the lies on the leave campaign posters about Turkey joining the EU being a certainty

They lied. Nobody can wriggle out of this on silly little probability arguments and weird technicalities

Leave lied. And they tried to make people in the U.K. fearful of Turkish people

The membership process is a red herring. It was started in the early 80s when Turkey was a very different country.

Edited by I1L2T3

12 minutes ago, woodview said:

Which of course, is the most likely outcome...

In November 2018  EU Enlargement Commissioner Johannes Hahn: “I think that, in the long term, it would be more honest for Turkey and the EU to go down new roads and end the accession talks.”

They are literally on the verge of being scrapped, and most likely will be before long.

The only member pushing Turkeys membership was the UK (in the guise of one Boris Johnson), so whatever slim chance there ever was went up in a cloud of smoke some time ago.

Edited by Magilla

1 minute ago, woodview said:

Turkey is largely a secular state. The current leadership may have moved it away from secularism, but a future one may move it back to being a fully secular state.

I'd say that in order for Turkey to join the EU, a return to secularim would be an absolute requirement.  The ability of a state to veto things is limited and likely to get less. 

7 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Which of course, is the most likely outcome...

In November 6, 2018  EU Enlargement Commissioner Johannes Hahn: “I think that, in the long term, it would be more honest for Turkey and the EU to go down new roads and end the accession talks.”

They are literally on the verge of being scrapped, and most likely will be before long.

Maybe they will formally scrap it as part of the package of getting us to Remain.

Edited by woodview

5 minutes ago, woodview said:

Maybe they will formally scrap it as part of the package of getting is to Remain.

... or... just continue what was happening regardless, since the majority of members (with the notable exception of the UK) objected anyway :?

Edited by Magilla

9 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Well Israel could join in future, in theory

But it is never going to hapoen

Once again we are talking about the lies on the leave campaign posters about Turkey joining the EU being a certainty

They lied. Nobody can wriggle out of this on silly little probability arguments and weird technicalities

Leave lied. And they tried to make people in the U.K. fearful of Turkish people

The membership process is a red herring. It was started in the early 80s when Turkey was a very different country.

The Leave campaign didn't tell any lies about Turkey. The Leave campaign stated the only way to guarantee the UK won't be affected by Turkey joining the EU in the future is for the UK to leave the EU.   One reason why Turkey was brought up before the referendum vote was because when David Cameron became Prime Minister he went to Turkey and told the Turkish people that the UK would support Turkey joining the EU.