The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

11 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Ability to move what?

Snowflake?

Well, he wasn't calling me stupid, he was calling someone else it.

If you think speaking against someone having a tantrum, unable to speak in a civilised manner, is snowflake behaviour, then you are welcome to the opinion.

Most people with any modicum of people skills will understand it's not normal or acceptable behaviour.

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

Your points are important.

The problem is leaving the EU doesn’t fix any of that

Parliament will still be in London. And if you replace the current elite with another elite that elite will still be in London

And the Brexiter elite you are supporting don’t care about the North

Referendums are non-binding and advisory......except when Parliament decides otherwise

I’d give up on this if I were you

Our government sent us a booklet that said what we chose would be implemented.  It never asked our advice, it asked us to choose.  There was no mention of it being advisory, we were told it was all about 'the will of the people'. 

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

Well, he wasn't calling me stupid, he was calling someone else it.

If you think speaking against someone having a tantrum, unable to speak in a civilised manner, is snowflake behaviour, then you are welcome to the opinion.

Most people with any modicum of people skills will understand it's not normal or acceptable behaviour.

Just looks like robustness to me.

This is an emotive subject and things can get tense but IMO lines not crossed there.

21 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

local partnerships of highly paid people were for remain while the public that actually voted in those areas chose to vote leave, 

The majority of highly paid people in Broughton in North Wales voted to leave. Unfortunately many of them work for Airbus. Not only will they lose their jobs but the whole area will take a hit when it loses the spending power that Airbus workers provided.

In Ebbw Vale, the town which recieves more EU money than any other small town in the UK the peopl voted to leave by the highest margin in Wales. Included in that leave vote were many people who are actually employed by EU projects. They too will now lose their jobs.

It may be democratic but it is also very, very dumb. So are all these people stupid or were they lied to? 😡

Just now, Lex Luthor said:

Our government sent us a booklet that said what we chose would be implemented.  It never asked our advice, it asked us to choose.  There was no mention of it being advisory, we were told it was all about 'the will of the people'. 

Yes it did but the leader of that government disappeared the next day after making numerous other false promises, and now we have a new government.

Despite all that the referendum was still advisory.

You could argue that there was a moral obligation for MPs to act on the result. I get that. They have acted and they’ve had a go at delivering. At the end of the day there was no legal obligation to deliver Brexit until it was passed into law, and even that law can be easily reversed.

20 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

I don't want globalisation, and the EU is partly responsible for that. I don't want decisions that effect this country being made by people who don't even live here. 

I don't want a European Army,  and I don't want my kids to be forced to do national service, like happens in Germany.   

An EU government is too far removed from me.  It doesn't hear what I want. 

The EU parliament is a ridiculous waste of money.  So much so, it's become a parody of itself. 

It might be that my wishes, coincidentally are the same as a few rich businessmen but for me the gains are too important to worry too much about that.  You've only got to look at our own parliamentary history to discover some very unholy alliances in the past. 

BIG isn't working for the ordinary people and it's definitely not working for our planet. Let's be little again.  It doesn't mean we can't be friends and allies. 

Absolutely right.

6 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Yes it did but the leader of that government disappeared the next day after making numerous other false promises, and now we have a new government.

Despite all that the referendum was still advisory.

You could argue that there was a moral obligation for MPs to act on the result. I get that. They have acted and they’ve had a go at delivering. At the end of the day there was no legal obligation to deliver Brexit until it was passed into law, and even that law can be easily reversed.

They have had no go at delivering.  

To go against the people can only end very badly.  It will at least cause people to turn away from our untrustworthy politicians and likely cause a massive surge to the far right and no doubt some very regrettable scenes.  I don't want that but I regret, once again, our politicians have not got a handle on the strength of feeling about this, as so far, the Leave camp has been relatively silent. 

12 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

I don't want globalisation, and the EU is partly responsible for that. I don't want decisions that effect this country being made by people who don't even live here. 

I don't want a European Army,  and I don't want my kids to be forced to do national service, like happens in Germany.   

An EU government is too far removed from me.  It doesn't hear what I want. 

The EU parliament is a ridiculous waste of money.  So much so, it's become a parody of itself. 

It might be that my wishes, coincidentally are the same as a few rich businessmen but for me the gains are too important to worry too much about that.  You've only got to look at our own parliamentary history to discover some very unholy alliances in the past. 

BIG isn't working for the ordinary people and it's definitely not working for our planet. Let's be little again.  It doesn't mean we can't be friends and allies. 

An EU army makes just as much sense as our current position as an extension of US forces.  We can’t afford to run what we’ve got so co-operation with nations on our doorstep makes a lot of sense - to them too. We won’t have national service, that’s in the hands of our inept politicians - that’s a phrase I’ll likely repeat as I go along.

our government is no less removed from us than the eu. They care little for the north of England - just look at how our inept politicians have handled things like the electrification of midland mainline. I could go on and on on that one.

the eu costs a lot - probably more than should (I’ll give you that one ;))

But globalisation his here to stay. It works for millions and has brought millions up from real poverty - certainly at a global level. But we aren’t small. We’ve not really been small since the Middle Ages, and we’ve punched above our weight for centuries, but those heady days where we sailed round the world taking what we want has gone. If we leave the EU we will be a lot smaller. And small gets stepped on.