Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

Message added by mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

41 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Green MP Caroline Lucas calls for all-female emergency cabinet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49314840

Good old greens, guaranteed to give you a chuckle.

Never as big a chuckle, as good old Nigel can produce:

Nigel Farage, the leader of Britain’s Brexit Party, has lambasted Prince Harry and his American wife Meghan along with other members of the royal family in a speech in Australia, it emerged on Monday.

According to the Guardian, Mr Farage ridiculed the prince’s remarks last month that the couple only wanted two children because of the environmental impact, while he also described the Queen Mother, who died in 2002, as an “slightly overweight, chain-smoking gin drinker”.

(for anyone wondering, this is likely the start of the Bannon playbook's chapter, about how to handle the UK Monarchy's pivotal role in the upcoming UK constitutional crisis - can't call Lizzie and Charles traitors, without massaging public opinion about it a little bit beforehand)

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Same old same old untruths, believed only by the snowflakes.

Angel1

What are these "bad things happening now", you omit to state them. Just fear mongering again, food for the snowflakes.

Angel1.

Pound crashing, foreign investment down to its lowest level in mote than a decade, economy contracting. And that's with the mere threat of a no deal.

I can do more if you want.

47 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Green MP Caroline Lucas calls for all-female emergency cabinet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49314840

Good old greens, guaranteed to give you a chuckle.

Bless. We've got enough on our plate as it is, let's get side tracked with something else. Besides, it absolutely rules in people like Kate hoey (nutjob) and pritti Patel (dangerous nut job - who unilaterally decides to put a salary of £36k on all immigrants wanting a job here, ruling out most nurses etc and other important skilled workers).

26 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Pound crashing, foreign investment down to its lowest level in mote than a decade, economy contracting. And that's with the mere threat of a no deal.

Bless. We've got enough on our plate as it is, let's get side tracked with something else. Besides, it absolutely rules in people like Kate hoey (nutjob) and pritti Patel (dangerous nut job - who unilaterally decides to put a salary of £36k on all immigrants wanting a job here, ruling out most nurses etc and other important skilled workers).

Is it? 

https://economia.icaew.com/news/december-2018/foreign-investment-in-uk-highest-level

"Foreign investment in UK at record level. The UK remains a top destination for foreign investment, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), with investment increasing by 12.6% last year" 

29 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

(...)

Well, true, but then think about the upside for Brexiters: no more low-to-medium-skilled immigrants being exploited by those dastardly EU-loving, traitorous employers, the Brexit voters can all go fruit-picking, table-waiting and OAP-wiping again! :thumbsup: 

31 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Again, I'm not sure this is true either... 

The only news article I can find about that are ones saying that Priti Patel has been urged by the Centre of Social Justice to increase the threshold to £36k. She hasn't 'unilaterally' decided to set that as the threshold, no decision has been made, and it's not a figure she came up with anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Is it? 

https://economia.icaew.com/news/december-2018/foreign-investment-in-uk-highest-level

"Foreign investment in UK at record level. The UK remains a top destination for foreign investment, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), with investment increasing by 12.6% last year" 

December 2018 news about the 2017 figures, eh?

What difference could more up-to-date data make, I wonder?

Edited by L00b

14 minutes ago, L00b said:

December 2018 news, eh?

What difference could the missing 2019 data make, I wonder?

I can't read that as I'm not subscribed to the Financial Times. Apparently 2017 was the last year that we have full details for - at least that I can find. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/foreigndirectinvestmentinvolvingukcompanies/2017#fdi-flows-continued-to-be-affected-by-mergers-and-acquisitions-activity-in-2017

(Note that it says 'this is the latest release' ) 

Does the FT article say that total foreign investment in the UK is down to the lowest levels in more than a decade?  

Edited by Robin-H

23 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I can't read that as I'm not subscribed to the Financial Times. Apparently 2017 was the last year that we have full details for - at least that I can find. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/foreigndirectinvestmentinvolvingukcompanies/2017#fdi-flows-continued-to-be-affected-by-mergers-and-acquisitions-activity-in-2017

Does the FT article say that total foreign investment in the UK is down to the lowest levels in more than a decade?  

Than 6 years, rather than a decade. Your link is official stats, which are always released much later after consolidating all data.

Plenty of economists and financial journalists have been keeping real-time tabs since before the ref, and particularly since triggerring Art.50, which are all very well documented online.

In particular, automotive FDI in the UK is so far past on its ar*e, it's through the floor (from billions to double-digit millions: two orders of magnitude down). Brexit or not irrespective.

Edited by L00b

53 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

that's a very specific/limited use of the word 'investment' though isn't it - that's overseas* bankers buying stocks/shares to take advantage of a devalued pound. it's not R&D, it's not infrastructure, it's not factories, it's not training, etc.  

(*mostly american, by those numbers, who can smell blood in the water, and the imminent prospect of a heavily one-sided trade deal)

Edited by ads36

16 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I read it somewhere, I'll have a look. I also read the pound has dropped https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/1164678/pound-to-euro-exchange-rate-pound-sterling-uk-recession-GBP-sterling-GDP-figures

And here's the economy contracting https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/09/uk-economy-contracts-on-back-of-brexit-uncertainty

Maybe sunlit uplands look different to you.