Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

Message added by mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

16 minutes ago, Obelix said:

The 2016 referendum wasn't democratic. As noted by the Electoral Commission....

It was only the biggest democratic vote in British history. The 17.4 million votes that the winning binary choice gained is the largest mandate for anything in British history.

5 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

It was only the biggest democratic vote in British history. The 17.4 million votes that the winning binary choice gained is the largest mandate for anything in British history.

I think you’ll find that the Belfast agreement got a much larger mandate in 1998, but for some reason you seem to think that it counts for nothing.

14 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

And we've democratically voted you as sfs biggest leave propaganda spinner

56 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I shame  no one's memory.

Not only them, but yourself too!

The second World War in particular was a war fought for democracy.

The Second World War was a conflict between rival imperialisms! 

The Allied nations cared little about democracy...

The British government initially admired Hitler as a strong leader who could defeat the workers movement in Germany :?

Britain had an empire to protect, full of people denied democracy. It allied itself with several dictators during the war, and stood by as they took over after it.

Russia was a communist state and the US was busy setting up dictatorships in Latin America while denying democracy to minorities at home!

For the nations involved, democracy wasn't even a consideration in WW2.

Edited by Magilla

30 minutes ago, L00b said:

I still try and reserve that tone for 'cultists' indeed. But you'd have little idea how deep the sense of being betrayed ran, here. Few British generally do, bar perhaps partners of EU27 migrants, and that's even years after the In Limbo publications. So Brexit can still get the better of me at times. 

Genuinely sorry to read about your circumstances. 

Thanks Loob, I'll be fine though - the IT industry is fairly healthy at the moment so I should be ok. A couple of months "holiday" though 😀

I can understand the betrayal feeling and I think you've been right in the past when you said we might need to do a "hard" brexit and suffer for a while to let the brexiteers see the consequences of their actions. Of course that then means rejoining with Schengen and the Euro etc, etc. Maybe, in the long run that could be the best thing to happen as it will finally see off the last bit of "Empire" feeling in this country and allow us to progress in a modern integrated world.

I know I'd rather be the 28th country in the EU than the 51st State of the USA. 

17 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Of course that then means rejoining with Schengen and the Euro etc, etc. Maybe, in the long run that could be the best thing to happen as it will finally see off the last bit of "Empire" feeling in this country and allow us to progress in a modern integrated world.

Also you wouldn't need to worry about changing money for your holidays 👍

23 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Thanks Loob, I'll be fine though - the IT industry is fairly healthy at the moment so I should be ok. A couple of months "holiday" though 😀

I can understand the betrayal feeling and I think you've been right in the past when you said we might need to do a "hard" brexit and suffer for a while to let the brexiteers see the consequences of their actions. Of course that then means rejoining with Schengen and the Euro etc, etc. Maybe, in the long run that could be the best thing to happen as it will finally see off the last bit of "Empire" feeling in this country and allow us to progress in a modern integrated world.

There will be no EU to rejoin 12 months after we depart. The  EU is bust now, without our 12 billion payment. it will sink like a stone.

Here is the reason why, latest figures I can find published May 2019, but relate to year 2017.

Net contributors, listed by amounts paid to the EU. 

Germany

UK

France

Italy

Netherlands

Sweden

Austria

Denmark

Ireland

Finland

Net recipients, listed by amounts received from the EU.

Cyprus

Spain

Malta

Slovenia

Croatia

Estonia

Latvia

Slovakia

Lithuania

Bulgaria

Luxembourg

Belgium

Czech Republic

Portugal

Hungary

Romania

Greece

Poland

So 10 Countries actually make a net contribution into the EU, but 18 receive more than they pay in.  Economics of a madman.

Angel1.

41 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

There will be no EU to rejoin 12 months after we depart. The  EU is bust now, without our 12 billion payment. it will sink like a stone.

Here is the reason why, latest figures I can find published May 2019, but relate to year 2017.

Net contributors, listed by amounts paid to the EU. 

Germany

UK

France

Italy

Netherlands

Sweden

Austria

Denmark

Ireland

Finland

Net recipients, listed by amounts received from the EU.

Cyprus

Spain

Malta

Slovenia

Croatia

Estonia

Latvia

Slovakia

Lithuania

Bulgaria

Luxembourg

Belgium

Czech Republic

Portugal

Hungary

Romania

Greece

Poland

So 10 Countries actually make a net contribution into the EU, but 18 receive more than they pay in.  Economics of a madman.

Angel1.

Utterly delusional.

2 hours ago, whiteowl said:

They'll never own. It will be EUs fault, then remainers fault. Then they'll start on minorities. It will never be farage or Johnson at all, or other brexiteers.

57 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

(...)

:shocked:

Where does one even begin with this post?

How long is it since you went to school, and did they teach you maths at all? (clearly not economics, so not even going to ask about that subject; never mind redistributive ones and their core function within the EU project). 

Come on, own up: did you lift this from Facebook or some other social media source?

@whiteowl: IT seems to be permanently overheating here in Lux, esp. Fintech/Regtech & cybersec. They're having to scout some pretty exotic locales for (obviously, good-) programmers and build them gold bridges these days.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

You realise this is by design and directly linked to the wealth of each nation in relation to each other?

Nope.. of course not.... :loopy:

This is *exactly* how it's supposed to be... and has been for decades! There's rationale and reason behind it... I bet you can't guess what it is? :hihi:

Here's a clue: Ireland became a net contributor in 2014... after 40 years as a beneficiary!

Hmmm, I wonder how that happened? :suspect:

It's actually embrassassing to see you fall over yourself to prove, yet again, how utterly ignorant you really are... even at this late stage, you *still* can't be bothered to do the simplest of research. Staggering! :roll:

Edited by Magilla