Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

Message added by mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

13 minutes ago, Butterscene said:

By Top Cats Hat's logic we shouldn't be IN!

The difference in 1975 is that more than double the people voted to join than stay outside and that was reflected in the polls at the time.

In 2016 there was only 1% difference between those voting to leave vs those voting to remain.

You tell me which is the bigger democratic mandate.

59 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

So that’s a no then?

So now we are agreed then that there is no evidence that the majority of adult, UK citizens wish to leave the EU why do you think that it should be forced through Parliament?

This was a leaver’s referendum, as evidenced by many polls that show that 60-70% of those who didn’t vote, support remaining in the EU.

What the hell are you talking about.

The results of the valid referendum speak for themsleves.   That's how things are democratically voted upon in this country.  

Prove to me right here right now that those 29% absentees want to remain.    If you cant then you have no valid argument.  You can neither prove nor disprove what they want.

In that circumstance, as has been the system in every other election and referendum only those who VOTED counts.  

What is your problem?

22 minutes ago, Butterscene said:

And don't try to fob us off with "polls suggest most people that didn't vote want to stay..." because I and no one I know partook in any such poll.

OK. So unless a poll includes you and your mates it isn’t valid? Are you seriously trying to argue statistics on an internet forum and you don’t actually know how polls are conducted?

Google the word ‘sample’.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

OK. So unless a poll includes you and your mates it isn’t valid? Are you seriously trying to argue statistics on an internet forum and you don’t actually know how polls are conducted?

Google the word ‘sample’.

Big fan of your posts TCH, but I fail to see the logic in some of your posts. we voted to leave by a very small majority , simple fact, can"t argue against it.. however I do believe that peoples opinions have changed dramatically over the last 3yrs, mine included, and should we now have another vote, remain would win by a landslide.

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

What the hell are you talking about.

The results of the valid referendum speak for themsleves.   That's how things are democratically voted upon in this country.  

Prove to me right here right now that those 29% absentees want to remain.    If you cant then you have no valid argument.  You can neither prove nor disprove what they want.

In that circumstance, as has been the system in every other election and referendum only those who VOTED counts.  

What is your problem?

If they read some of your barmy rants I think they’d be easily convinced.

41 minutes ago, Padders said:

Big fan of your posts TCH, but I fail to see the logic in some of your posts. we voted to leave by a very small majority , simple fact, can"t argue against it.. however I do believe that peoples opinions have changed dramatically over the last 3yrs, mine included, and should we now have another vote, remain would win by a landslide.

Me too - can't understand why TCH is wanting to fight a battle that's already lost - although large sections of the left have always preferred fighting the last battle rather than the next one.

The important thing now is ensuring we don't crash out of the EU without a deal - and then take it from there - a confirmative referendum is perhaps one option but as sure as hell isn't going to happen before 31 October.

5 minutes ago, Butterscene said:

When will people understand that if the other side (the EU) know full well that we won't countenance a no deal, then that renders our bargaining position with them worthless? this is very basic stuff.

The fact is people like you don't view the EU as the other side; you're batting for them aren't you?

Have you ever heard of the concept of cooperation that benefits everybody?

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The difference in 1975 is that more than double the people voted to join than stay outside and that was reflected in the polls at the time.

Just to correct you, no one voted to join the EU in 1975. In that advisory referendum people voted in favour of remaining part of the EU.

In 2016 there was only 1% difference between those voting to leave vs those voting to remain.

The figures are: 51.89% for Leave and 48.11% to remain, a difference of 3.78% which made leave the majority winner.

You tell me which is the bigger democratic mandate.

Neither as the democratic legal winning threshold was passed on both occasions.