Climate change protests

10 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Wrong thread for Brexit  , bang on about it elsewhere .  What has this protest achieved other than  huge cost to the country ?

Raised awareness  , seriously .  These same people have been raising the same old  awareness for decades now.  What has this week achieved ?

Raise a bit more. That's all they can do, that's all anyone can - it's not subject that's going to go away or get better.

12 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

I wonder how many people will lose their jobs due to the damage caused by the disruption to the already struggling retail sector?

I wonder how many violent and non-violent crimes have happened due to police resources being diverted?

I wonder how many ambulances failed to get to people on time?

These selfish, over privileged, protesters have tried to shut down a major city and the very serious consequences of their actions will be revealed over the coming days, weeks and months. 

So you don't think climate change is important?

10 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Raise a bit more. That's all they can do, that's all anyone can - it's not subject that's going to go away or get better.

So you don't think climate change is important?

I believe that equality and tackling poverty are much more important. Getting a progressive government into power.

I think the climate change protests have shown a contempt for the lives of working class Londoners.

Edited by Car Boot

1 minute ago, Car Boot said:

I believe that equality and tackling poverty are much more important. Getting a progressive government into power.

I think the climate change protests have shown a contempt for the lives of the working class in London.

So nobody gets mugged when there is a brexit March And the police are looking after them? Those police resources well spent?

The climate change activists should be targeting the wealthy. Those who use private jets and helicopters to get around - such as the carbon criminal Prince Harry and his climate destroying family. Instead they target working class people on public transport and those who use charter flights to go on holiday once a year.

Edited by Car Boot

3 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The climate change activists should be targeting the wealthy. Those who use private jets and helicopters to get around - such as the carbon criminal Prince Harry and his climate destroying family. Instead they target working class people on public transport and those who use charter flights to go on holiday once a year.

Yeah, they should. It would be a start.

17 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

So nobody gets mugged when there is a brexit March And the police are looking after them? Those police resources well spent?

What on earth are you talking about?

You simply cannot compare a Brexit march to attempts to blockade a city and shut down London.

https://rebellion.earth/event/uk-rebellion-shut-down-london/https://rebellion.earth/event/uk-rebellion-shut-down-london/

Edited by Car Boot

We have been exhausted by a thousand cuts. Our places of work have become sites of exploitation and abuse, our positions precarised. Anxiety has replaced confidence, branded products have eclipsed community in our hearts. No wonder we find it hard to focus on our interests when we have been repeatedly disciplined to accept that we must embrace the privations and displacements of austerity in order to achieve some sunlit upland somewhere, some day, only to find that promise empty. Thus the future has gone. We no longer see a future, so the notion of a tomorrow being menaced by such catastrophe as that represented by global warming and climate disaster paralyses our exhausted collective intellect. No wonder we are fearful, it is not surprising that we ridicule those who try to stimulate our sluggish imaginations and alert us to the horrors that are already hidden in the future. They remind us of our humiliation.

41 minutes ago, Staunton said:

We have been exhausted by a thousand cuts. Our places of work have become sites of exploitation and abuse, our positions precarised. Anxiety has replaced confidence, branded products have eclipsed community in our hearts. No wonder we find it hard to focus on our interests when we have been repeatedly disciplined to accept that we must embrace the privations and displacements of austerity in order to achieve some sunlit upland somewhere, some day, only to find that promise empty. Thus the future has gone. We no longer see a future, so the notion of a tomorrow being menaced by such catastrophe as that represented by global warming and climate disaster paralyses our exhausted collective intellect. No wonder we are fearful, it is not surprising that we ridicule those who try to stimulate our sluggish imaginations and alert us to the horrors that are already hidden in the future. They remind us of our humiliation.

Bloody hell Staunton, lighten up a bit. The human race is nothing if not ingenious. It's faced disaster many times in the past and come through. We do however need to recognize the problems before we can tackle them, and that seems to be the problem -too much complacency. I know a lot of people have it really tough, which is why we must all do our best to help each other out where we can, and insist on more long term equality, but I believe we do have a future.

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Bloody hell Staunton, lighten up a bit. The human race is nothing if not ingenious. It's faced disaster many times in the past and come through. We do however need to recognize the problems before we can tackle them, and that seems to be the problem -too much complacency. I know a lot of people have it really tough, which is why we must all do our best to help each other out where we can, and insist on more long term equality, but I believe we do have a future.

What do we do when it seems that nothing can be done?

If we accept that ethical action is pointless then we are left with cynicism. We sign off from any hope and simply retreat. This is precisely what the corporations desire - that we should just leave them alone.

I am hopeful. That is why I suggest that Extinction Rebellion is the last chance we have. But maybe my hope is misplaced? Maybe it is already too late?

So, I recommend and honour Anna B's admonition.