Major contribuition to road safety and reducing aggressive driving.

44 minutes ago, geared said:

Except they aren't, at all.

Sorry, I thought that was the law.

I suppose it depends on your definition of the words "restricted to".

Maybe that`s the excuse of all those drivers who habitually exceed the speed limits ? It`s not that they`re arrogant Wazzocks, they`re just ignorant in the other sense of the word, as in they don't know......

It has nothing to do with road safety its to implement driverless cars in the future.

My car already slows down to match that of the car in front when it is switched on to do so but why should i have to drive at 50 on a road that is designed to drive at 70?

2 hours ago, m0nkey said:

It's not about safety, it's about having justification to install limiters and tracking. The government wants this to implement per-mile/use-based road taxation and track the populations movements / stiffle any dissent AND from the lobbyist insurance companies who see profit in risk profiling and selling of your trip data for marketing or otherwise.

TBH I don`t give  a toss as to their motivations are (though I do actually think it`s safety and reducing pollution), I still think it`s a FANTASTIC idea.

What I find interesting is the sight of Petrolheads dancing on a pin. On the one hand they profess their hatred for speed cameras "revenue raising devices" they say, but they also object to something which would mean the elimination of speed cameras. There`s actually only one  theory which links the two, basically they just want to speed, and they don`t like anything which will stop them.

2 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

BTW, all vehicles are restricted to 70mph on the motorway......

1 hour ago, Justin Smith said:

Sorry, I thought that was the law.

I suppose it depends on your definition of the words "restricted to".

Maybe that`s the excuse of all those drivers who habitually exceed the speed limits ? It`s not that they`re arrogant Wazzocks, they`re just ignorant in the other sense of the word, as in they don't know......

So HGV's are restricted to 70mph as well are they??  What about vehicles towing?  and what about smart motorways and roadworks??

Perhaps the only Wazzock here is the one making sweeping statements??

The only folk who want this kind of a restriction are those that cannot drive. Dodderers mudling around on the Motorways at 55/60 because they have no confidence to drive any faster. Driving at 20 when the limit is 30, because they are not confident to drive any faster in an urban area. Bet any one who makes a living "on the roads" will not be thrilled with this daft idea.

Regarding these "new" limits when they released on the public, who or what will tell your vehicle to slow down on a motorway for instance, especially on these new lengths of smart motorways where the speed limit is up and down, up and down. Has the technology even been invented to do it yet.  What if you are out in the country side, what will tell your car to slow down then. Or will it be similar to the battery debacle, "it seemed a good idea at the time" even though the miracle battery that will allow 400/500 miles between charges has not been invented yet. If it has it was certainly not fitted to my hybrid, 25 miles to a full charge.

As for those like JS who think this new idea will do away with cash generating cameras, dream on.

Angel1.

Just seen on TV news, satellite or speed sign camera in the car to do the job.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

9 hours ago, DeZeus said:

When the M1 was first opened I believe the speed limit then on it was 100MPH, which was quickly reduced to....70MPH, at that time the cars then struggled to achieve ^80/90MPH

There was no limit until 1967.

In 1964 Jack Sears took the Le Mans AC Cobra from the Watford Gap  Northwards up the M1 at 185mph totally legally. Still the highest speed ever recorded on a British Motorway in a car.  I think Jaguar managed to run an Etype on the M1 at 150 mph in 1965 .  All done when the motorways were a lot less crowded 

12 hours ago, Obelix said:

Because the limit is different in other countries....

Because having a car capable of going much faster than 70mph means at 70mph the engine isnt heavily overloaded and will last a lot longer and also be more fuel efficient.

“More fuel efficient” and  “70 mph” is simply wrong for ordinary vehicles with 5/6 gears.  

Once in top gear at around mid-50-65 the engine is at its most efficient when gauged by mpg figures.  Any acceleration above this speed increases wind resistance and there are no more higher-gear efficiency gains to be had and fuel efficiency drops.  Driving at 85 mph is reckoned to use 40% more fuel than 70mph. 

13 hours ago, Eddie_shef said:

I also thought it was interesting that the BBC article I read made specific mention that while it was an EU-introduced regulation the UK would also follow it....

Not that everything is about Brexit, but I thought that was interesting.

If we want to trade with the EU, our products must meet their specification. 

Not a big surprise?

The remaining car manufacturers in the Uk are highly unlikely to want to split their volume production into “UK SPEC’” and “EU SPEC”. 

8 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

More fuel efficient” and  “70 mph” is simply wrong for ordinary vehicles with 5/6 gears.  

Once in top gear at around mid-50-65 the engine is at its most efficient when gauged by mpg figures.  Any acceleration above this speed increases wind resistance and there are no more higher-gear efficiency gains to be had and fuel efficiency drops.  Driving at 85 mph is reckoned to use 40% more fuel than 70mph. 

Explain why my car does mid to late 60s in MPG at 70mph in 6th gear but drops to late 50s between 55-62mph. Self tested using cruise-control to maintain speed, averaged over same stretch of M1 Southbound, J34-J31. Measurment device car's own onboard computer, reset on slip road for each test. 

2.2 Turbo Diesel, 6 speed manual

9 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

If we want to trade with the EU, our products must meet their specification. 

Not a big surprise?

The remaining car manufacturers in the Uk are highly unlikely to want to split their volume production into “UK SPEC’” and “EU SPEC”. 

But they already do. There are many manufacturers that offer options on EU derived vehicles that aren't available on UK spec. Hence the small print on the TV ads "Some features not available in the UK" or words to that effect.