Recommendations for Good places to eat in Sheffield

becks7785

On 20/06/2019 at 21:32, Bilge said:

Arrr much?!  Even DT draws the line at that.

Ha-ha!  Well, not quite.  I've paid it many times.  It's not the price of something that bothers me, it's the value.  I'm happy to pay a high price for something I consider high value.

Specific to Proove pizza, I've had several take-aways from there (and ate in 2/3 times).  On one occasion I'd ordered a "Diavola" and the guy taking my order says to me, "you do know it's a bit spicy that one - it has chillies on it - is that o.k.?"  And I said, "yes, that's fine, I like it spicy".  So then he says, "oh really?  would you like me to make it a bit more spicy for you?"  And I said, "yes, that would be great - thanks".  I was thinking he was just offering to spice it up a bit, like they might offer to spice up a curry a bit in an Indian restaurant.  He didn't mention, and I didn't realise, he was going to charge me extra for that.  When I got the pizza home I'd say there was maybe half a teaspoon of "extra" chilli on there - for which I'd paid an extra 50p.  50p isn't a lot of money - but in that context is was not good value.   

I don't think Proove are, or were,  very transparent with their pricing anyhow.   The prices on the menu used to be written in a spidery feint print which made it very difficult to tell whether it was a 7 or 9 you were looking at, for example.   I stopped going there after being continually over-charged.  I'm talking about maybe 3 or 4 consecutive occasions when I'd gone to get a take-away and they were overcharging by a couple of quid or so each time.  On the last occasion I had a word with the manager, or person in charge.  It was becoming more than just a coincidence.

There is also a huge difference in price between their pizzas.  A basic one will cost just under £7 but if you go for something like the  "Diavola" pizzai it's  £11.70 now.   And if you add some extra toppings, like ham or pepperoni, you'll pay £2 for each.  

I still think it's the best Pizza I've had in Sheffield - but I've not tried this Neapolitan place on Glossop Road yet - so I'm hoping it's as good or better than Proove.  I will surely let you know!

8 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Ha-ha!  Well, not quite.  I've paid it many times.  It's not the price of something that bothers me, it's the value.  I'm happy to pay a high price for something I consider high value.

Specific to Proove pizza, I've had several take-aways from there (and ate in 2/3 times).  On one occasion I'd ordered a "Diavola" and the guy taking my order says to me, "you do know it's a bit spicy that one - it has chillies on it - is that o.k.?"  And I said, "yes, that's fine, I like it spicy".  So then he says, "oh really?  would you like me to make it a bit more spicy for you?"  And I said, "yes, that would be great - thanks".  I was thinking he was just offering to spice it up a bit, like they might offer to spice up a curry a bit in an Indian restaurant.  He didn't mention, and I didn't realise, he was going to charge me extra for that.  When I got the pizza home I'd say there was maybe half a teaspoon of "extra" chilli on there - for which I'd paid an extra 50p.  50p isn't a lot of money - but in that context is was not good value.   

I don't think Proove are, or were,  very transparent with their pricing anyhow.   The prices on the menu used to be written in a spidery feint print which made it very difficult to tell whether it was a 7 or 9 you were looking at, for example.   I stopped going there after being continually over-charged.  I'm talking about maybe 3 or 4 consecutive occasions when I'd gone to get a take-away and they were overcharging by a couple of quid or so each time.  On the last occasion I had a word with the manager, or person in charge.  It was becoming more than just a coincidence.

There is also a huge difference in price between their pizzas.  A basic one will cost just under £7 but if you go for something like the  "Diavola" pizzai it's  £11.70 now.   And if you add some extra toppings, like ham or pepperoni, you'll pay £2 for each.  

I still think it's the best Pizza I've had in Sheffield - but I've not tried this Neapolitan place on Glossop Road yet - so I'm hoping it's as good or better than Proove.  I will surely let you know!

I like Proove, eating in at Broomhill and delivery. Never had a problem with eating in, but a few deliveroo deliveries have been less than warm, and a few unsliced. Neither is an earth shattering problem but just smacks a bit of carelessness, which shouldn't be happening.

Not a particular fan of the toppings at Porter pizza, a bit gimmicky. Hard to beat a good margherita tbh.

Edited by Bargepole23

On 22/06/2019 at 13:19, Bargepole23 said:

I like Proove, eating in at Broomhill and delivery. Never had a problem with eating in, but a few deliveroo deliveries have been less than warm, and a few unsliced. Neither is an earth shattering problem but just smacks a bit of carelessness, which shouldn't be happening.

Not a particular fan of the toppings at Porter pizza, a bit gimmicky. Hard to beat a good margherita tbh.

Interesting comment there about the "slicing" of the pizza's from Proove.  Yes we've had similar issues with the cutting, or non-cutting, of the pizza from there.   Our problem was that  someone had hastily and rather carelessly ran a pizza wheel over it, so it does have cuts in it, but they aren't cut all the way through, or in even sized pieces.  So then when you get it home you have to cut it yourself, but the fact that it's already got partial cuts in it, makes it a right mess and it falls apart.  I think next time I'll just say to them, "please don't cut it" - and then I can cut it myself properly at home.

Edited by DerbyTup

My other half was introduced to Cutlery Works on Friday evening whilst I went out for a beer, it's apparently her new favourite place and we had to go back yesterday lunch for vietnamese chicken wings.

A good range of food, and the quality seems fairly good.  Multiple different establishments though of course.

5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

My other half was introduced to Cutlery Works on Friday evening whilst I went out for a beer, it's apparently her new favourite place and we had to go back yesterday lunch for vietnamese chicken wings.

A good range of food, and the quality seems fairly good.  Multiple different establishments though of course.

A great addition to the Kelham Island options, but give it a miss on Sunday evenings. Most places are either running out of food or are shut.

I can understand why they are, but either do it right and open fully, or close on Sunday evenings.

On 28/03/2019 at 14:04, MaxVinella said:

Hi guys, 

just wanted to report a new pizza place, which opened  a few months ago in Glossop Rd, in front of the Drama Studio.  It's called Napoli Centro.

They make only few types of pizza, all very fragrant and nicely topped.  They use Caputo blue flour, San marzano tomatoes and fresh ingredients.    They also make some mean arancini and crocchette, which are often however unavailabe because they are extremely popular.

The owner has a neapolitan dad and a mother from Rotherham,  speaks fluent italian and has worked a dozen years inthe London pizza places.

It is good to have another good place for pizza, unpretentious,  cheap, open also at lunchtime.

BWs

MV

PS:  have no interest whatsoever in the shop, just like to eat there with the occasional take away.

I tried this place tonight for a take-away, based on your recommendation.  It was excellent!  Thank-you.

I went for the Diavola.  £7.50.  Good size.  Nice fresh ingredients and beautiful base.  The base, is what makes a good pizza to me, just as in real-life where the base makes a good person!  

There seems to be a fairly limited range of options in terms of different types of pizza, compared to say, Proove.  But the quality is excellent.  I haven't had better in Sheffield put it that way - and I'm grateful to you and to Sheffield Forum for finding out about this.

Glad you like it - personally I only ever get Margherita, so I do not miss much other toppings.     In a good place I would also try "Calzone"  usually with ham and mozzarella,   and  if porcini are used, ham and mushrooms.     Quattro stagioni is too easy to get wrong  (it depends on the quality of toppings used, and are many) .    

Tonight wanted to try that place in Walkley, for takeaway.

MV

PS:   A friend reminded me that the "Antica Pizzeria da Michele"  perhaps the most famous of all Naple's Pizzerias,  only serves two types of pizza:  Margherita e Marinara  (which is Margherita without mozzarella, therefore vegetarian)

Edited by MaxVinella