LGBT issues and morality

5 minutes ago, willman said:

I think all of the above - i do think the onus should be on the parents to educate their children with respect to manners,abusive behaviour,bullying etc along with moral issues,but i think it can't hurt to reinforce it at school.

I think politics and religion should be within some sort of subject similar to "humanities" as it was when i went to school. 

Whereas it does appears some schools try to teach tolerance and not to bully etc and some parents just couldn't give a fig about it.

Of course it helps enormously if the parent is 'on side' with the schools messages about respect, tolerance and inclusiveness. But I think 'leave it to the parent is a cop out. 

As Stonewall have pointed out, bullying - especially homophobic bullying is still an issue in schools.

Much is made nowadays with the radicalisation agenda about 'fundamental British values'. These fundamental British values (I'd call them human values) apply to everyone, not just certain religions or sexualities.

Edited by Mister M

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Of course it helps enormously if the parent is 'on side' with the schools messages about respect, tolerance and inclusiveness. But I think 'leave it to the parent is a cop out. 

As Stonewall have pointed out, bullying - especially homophobic bullying is still an issue in schools.

Much is made nowadays with the radicalisation agenda about 'fundamental British values'. These fundamental British values (I'd call them human values) apply to everyone, not just certain religions or sexualities.

I agree it needs to be within school. Lots of parents aren't aware of how to give this info, or are completely on a different page on racism, homophobia etc.

In terms of homophobic bullying, I'm not so sure. When I was at school, being gay was something relating to John Inman or Danny Laroo. Nowadays kids in secondary school are much more open about it and my kids often mention gay or bi classmates in a completely blasé way. I'm not saying it is problem free, but the situation is much improved.

I didn't say leave it to the parents but i think the first port of call is the parents. I was "educating" my grandson before he got near a school.

Not to bully, to share etc etc. he was wearing nail varnish up until he started  nursery school and they stopped him(and everyone else).

Just now, willman said:

I didn't say leave it to the parents but i think the first port of call is the parents. I was "educating" my grandson before he got near a school.

Not to bully, to share etc etc. he was wearing nail varnish up until he started  nursery school and they stopped him(and everyone else).

Sorry if I came across shouty. You're correct, parents should inculcate basic values into their children.

Meanwhile. this makes for interesting reading....

Esther McVey has always voted against gay issues or was absent. She was against same sex marriage.

On 5 Mar 2014:
Esther McVey voted against enabling the courts to deal with proceedings for the divorce of, or annulment of the marriage of, a same sex couple.
On 5 Mar 2014:
Esther McVey voted against making same sex marriage available to armed forces personnel outside the UK.
On 21 May 2013:
Esther McVey voted against allowing same sex couples to marry.
On 5 Feb 2013:
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24882/esther_mcvey/tatton/divisions?policy=826

11 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

I agree it needs to be within school. Lots of parents aren't aware of how to give this info, or are completely on a different page on racism, homophobia etc.

In terms of homophobic bullying, I'm not so sure. When I was at school, being gay was something relating to John Inman or Danny Laroo. Nowadays kids in secondary school are much more open about it and my kids often mention gay or bi classmates in a completely blasé way. I'm not saying it is problem free, but the situation is much improved.

I think you're right that things are improving for LGB students a bit, but trans students still suffer:

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/news/stonewall-school-report-2017-anti-lgbt-bullying-down-lgbt-young-people-still-risk

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think you're right that things are improving for LGB students a bit, but trans students still suffer:

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/news/stonewall-school-report-2017-anti-lgbt-bullying-down-lgbt-young-people-still-risk

It doesn't seem to differentiate the two in terms of bullying?

Sadly 50% bullying rate may be as good as it'll ever get, as any difference, whether it's sexuality, hair colour, skin colour, weight etc etc etc will be picked on by some kids.

49 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Sorry if I came across shouty. You're correct, parents should inculcate basic values into their children.

Esther McVey has always voted against gay issues or was absent. She was against same sex marriage.

On 5 Mar 2014:
Esther McVey voted against enabling the courts to deal with proceedings for the divorce of, or annulment of the marriage of, a same sex couple.
On 5 Mar 2014:
Esther McVey voted against making same sex marriage available to armed forces personnel outside the UK.
On 21 May 2013:
On 5 Feb 2013:
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24882/esther_mcvey/tatton/divisions?policy=826

Thats her right to vote that way . I have no problem with how she voted. 

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

On 5 Mar 2014:
On 5 Mar 2014:
On 21 May 2013:
On 5 Feb 2013:

She's in a relationship with Philip Davies, MP for Shipley who's  a right nasty bit of work. His old man Pete was the homophobic bigot Mayor of Doncaster from 2009 to 2013.

25 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Thats her right to vote that way . I have no problem with how she voted. 

I think her views are divisive, ignorant and reactionary. It also displays her willingness to use a controversial issue, and potentially disadvantage a vulnerable minority in order to further her own career.

If anyone is in any doubt about McVey's complete lack of moral compass, then look both at her tenure at the DWP and her positioning on this issue.

Given that you share similar views to her is not a compliment for you.

7 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

She's in a relationship with Philip Davies, MP for Shipley who's  a right nasty bit of work. His old man Pete was the homophobic bigot Mayor of Doncaster from 2009 to 2013.

He is, and the phrase about two people "deserving each other" is apt when thinking about their relationship.

16 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

His old man Pete was the homophobic bigot Mayor of Doncaster from 2009 to 2013.

Wasn’t he that bonkers English Democrats bloke who said he admired the Taleban because of their ‘ordered way of life’ and respect for family values?