Local election turnout

I went to a meeting for candidates this morning, I was surprised to be told that it was a criminal offence not to submit a record of your spending.

Rather overkill when I and everyone else will probably spend less than £200

The main issue at the meeting was candidates disclosing/withholding their address, apparently, no one needs to know where their councillor lives, because it's not safe for them.

My address will be on the ballot paper, but around 50% seem to want to withhold it.

Given some of the recent events I don't blame them for not wanting to disclose it. 

Personally I don't see why the full exact details are necessary - surely the area they reside would be more than enough.    If a candidate has been described as resident of chapeltown or resident of high green etc is any more really required.   

Edited by ECCOnoob

7 minutes ago, El Cid said:

My address will be on the ballot paper, but around 50% seem to want to withhold it.

I’m surprised that as many as 50% were willing to reveal their home address  in this day and age but I suppose that parish councillors are a fairly low level target, but who knows with some of the cranks out there.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I’m surprised that as many as 50% were willing to reveal their home address  in this day and age but I suppose that parish councillors are a fairly low level target, but who knows with some of the cranks out there.

I know that we have had more knife crime in the media, but even that is only as high as it was 10 ish years ago.

Are we really living in a less safe country? Gays are no longer in 'the closet' and we have laws against discrimination; so that would imply its safer now.

44 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That’s not what I mean, I am talking about the post-Trump, post-Brexit view that somehow politicians and journalists are fair game for physical attacks. 😢

I am not sure, left-wing Labour seems more vitriolic in their attitude, that causes antagonism against them; but not at the parish level.

22 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I am not sure, left-wing Labour seems more vitriolic in their attitude, that causes antagonism against them; but not at the parish level.

Are you seriously trying to say that politicians who are attacked were ‘asking for it?’

Does that include Jo Cox?

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Are you seriously trying to say that politicians who are attacked were ‘asking for it?’

Does that include Jo Cox?

There were MPs killed every few years in the 80s, Joe Cox was the first MP killing in 25 years, perhaps we are over-reacting?

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

I think you should look into what happened to Stocksbridge councillors, both Town and City, during the debates over the closure of the swimming baths. Death threats and the liberal use of dog excrement were two of the protesters' weapons.

Jess Phillips and Yvette Cooper are coming under some pretty nasty flak for their tactics in delaying Brexit.  

The abuse on Twitter is pretty dire. I can't see it being long before some old Leftie leaver goes further and does something nasty.