Inheriting a tax dodging company

5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Surely the OP is going to get professional advice.  Asking on here first just gives him some idea of the size of the problem and things that he might want to talk to the professional about.

This ^ but I'm also interested in hearing about other people's opinions on the situation more generally. It might also help me find the right professional. Also - these might be answers that other readers might find useful or interesting.

I totally take Bendix's point, but I'm not going to go out and act on someone's posted advice beyond seeking professional advice. But I am always interested in what other people think.

The company currently has two directors, one of whom is leaving, This business shed a number of directors about 5 years ago following what amounted to embezzlement and general shenanigans. This latest departure is planned, as the director is returning to the continent.

It's now essentially a family affair. The director (my dad) has no interest in the company any more (he's 80) but it needs to carry on trading to provide him with an income at the very least.