Altering a will

16 minutes ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Because we are moving house we need to alter the address on the will. Our solicitor says it will cost around £150 + VAT. It seems a lot?

Wonder if it would be cheaper to make a new one during the charity will month?

You don't need a lawyer to change your address on a will - you don't need a lawyer on a will at all.  The only reason one uses lawyers on a will is to alert you to any issues, risk, potential pitfalls in your will.  

All you need to do is change your address and initial it.  If you feel so inclined, get a neighbour to witness your initial and leave a note to that effect in your papers with your will.

Sorted.

No. Thats not how it works at all and it could even end up making matters worse - and this is why you really need legal advice if you dont know...

IF you want to amend a will you either redraft it, re witness it etc and then destroy the old one.

Or you can make a codicil and get that witnessed and attach it to the main will.

With respect, i work at one of the largest law firms in the world.  You can write a perfectly legal will on the back of a fag packet if y ou like and it is legally binding.  you can cross details out and change them to your heart's content.

Even a scribbled and annoted will is legal - the risk (and this is why people might prefer to use lawyers) is that your scribbles might be vague and open to dispute and intepretation by your heirs.

Agree with Bendix -  also once you have a will registered at one home address should it be contested at a later date it is quite easy to prove your movements as long as you do it correctly. i.e change council tax etc etc.

2 hours ago, bendix said:

With respect, i work at one of the largest law firms in the world.  You can write a perfectly legal will on the back of a fag packet if y ou like and it is legally binding.  you can cross details out and change them to your heart's content.

Even a scribbled and annoted will is legal - the risk (and this is why people might prefer to use lawyers) is that your scribbles might be vague and open to dispute and intepretation by your heirs.

SO those minor details like you know having two witnesses who are not beneficiaries or married to such are like, optional?

22 minutes ago, Obelix said:

SO those minor details like you know having two witnesses who are not beneficiaries or married to such are like, optional?

Yes.  Totally optional.

Such things are helpful and indeed recommended for reducing the potential conflicts on substantive changes to beneficiary arrangements yes.  I've never said anything contrary to that.  They are not needed for what the OP has asked for - a simple change of address.

Edited by bendix

25 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Yeah, but are you though? You could be some know-nothing keyboard warrior, who has no skin in the game....;););)

The irony didn’t pass me by mate.  😀

I’ll get my coat . . . s