Old Company Sports Clubs

HIBBSY

I started work at Davy United in the mid 60's and played football for them at various levels till the early 70's. Davy United had a sports club on Prince of Wales Road which still exists. who does it now belong to as Davy United are long gone. 

I played at lots of company sports clubs around Sheffield. Lots of the companies, like Davy United, no longer exist. What happened to all those sports grounds and club houses? I remember a good few were on Bawtry Road. How many still exist and where are they?

Can't do much checking for myself as I have been in Canada since 1980. Don't have any family left in the area either.

Edited by nikki-red

English Steel Corp had a wonderful sports ground on Shiregreen Lane. Cricket, football about 5 tennis courts including one grass & great clubhouse.  I played tennis a couple of t imes a weeek there in  1960's. Also has interdepartmental indoor games n ight every year.

1 hour ago, johnpm said:

English Steel Corp had a wonderful sports ground on Shiregreen Lane. Cricket, football about 5 tennis courts including one grass & great clubhouse.  I played tennis a couple of t imes a weeek there in  1960's. Also has interdepartmental indoor games n ight every year.

Correct John, played football there a few times for Atlas and Norfolk, always a good crowd, and pie and pea supper afterwards..

And don"t forget the summer gala, what a day out that was, good old fashion stalls, happy days.

I remember playing Football and cricket on the Atlas and Norfolk fields. Couldn't remember that our opponent those times was English Steel, still that was a long time ago. When I was a kid my dad had an allotment in Roe Wood just behind the sports ground. Has that area been built on by now? Remember looking in at the summer gala on a visit to the allotment. 

1 hour ago, HIBBSY said:

I remember playing Football and cricket on the Atlas and Norfolk fields. Couldn't remember that our opponent those times was English Steel, still that was a long time ago. When I was a kid my dad had an allotment in Roe Wood just behind the sports ground. Has that area been built on by now? Remember looking in at the summer gala on a visit to the allotment. 

The Atlas and Norfolk facility belonged to Firth-Brown's.