Old Company Sports Clubs

HIBBSY

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:03, Firparnian said:

Brown Bailey's had a large ground at Oliver's Mount Handsworth , several football pitches an excellent cricket pitch and Crown green bowling. It's noe home to Handsworth Paramors FC

I remember helping to fit a floodlight at Brown Bayleys football pitch in 1963 and we played on it for years.

Not sure about the Malin Bridge site belonging British Gas in the 60's.  Remember Brown Baileys at Olivers Mount very well. The Metro Vickers /AEI  site I think was known as Firth Vickers in the 60's and I played there a few times also. Further up Bawtry Rd on the same side was Edger Allen-Aerex and on the opposite side was Dunford Hadfields. Over the crest was Steel Peach and Tozer later BSC. 

I used to go to school at Meadowhead and remember the sports field at Jordanthorpe but never got the chance to visit there.

Also remember playing in Chapeltown, was that Newton Chambers ?

6 hours ago, Kidorry said:

We played British gas and they were on Claywheels lane just before you got to Bachelors.

The gas company's football pitch on Claywheels Lane was actually on British Acheson (later Union Carbide) property, their own being on Grange Mill Lane. Wincobank/Blackburn, Also on Claywheels Lane was the Hope and Anchor brewery football/cricket pitches,

• 1 month later...

Malin bridge ground was Samuel Osborn's until they closed around 1970.  I played for them from 1965 for 4 years in County Senior league. Gas board bought it later. Club house now been demolished and Lidl trying for planning permission. 

Pete Fisher