Can my neighbour alter my security light ?

• Vaati unlocked this topic

What sort of light is it?

You might be able to fashion a simple shield on to prevent the light beam shining onto your neighbours property.

Some of the new street lights were fitted with shields as people were complaining they shone through bedroom windows at night causing a disturbance.

I think that the title of the thread is wrong, as people have stated, it's not a security light....it's just a light.

It doesn't alert you to intruders like one with a PIR sensor would.

All it's really doing is illuminating your house and garden so that intruders can see where they're going...it's a bit daft really.

If you're that concerned about break ins, I'd contact a security firm and get professionally installed CCTV and motion activated lights.

Better to spend a bit of money now, rather than trying to do DIY on the cheap, than have to spend more money later after your floodlit house has been broken into.

It's more complicated than simply "PIR lights are a deterrent".

A research paper written in 2004 by Ian Hearnden and Christine Magill and published by the Home Office entitled  Decision –making by house burglars: offenders perspectives  (Available in Library under Burglary) is interesting in that lighting is not mentioned by burglars as something that puts them off targeting a particular house.  To be fair to those of you who think light works all the time the authors didn’t ask the burglars a direct question about lighting.  Nevertheless when they were asked what things were more likely to put them off the main deterrents were:  Evidence of occupancy, the presence of an alarm or CCTV camera and the apparent strength of the doors and windows.  Interestingly, one of these findings does indicate an effective use for lighting, which is to use it to give the impression that you are home.  (See  LightingInternal lighting for the home )

So, you can put external lights anywhere you think might be useful, but which ones should you leave on for some extra security?  You should ask yourself a really important question before you make your decision:

“If I put a light on that wall or above that door and leave it on or have it switch on automatically will an intruder be seen?”

Another related question you could ask yourself is:

“If the light is on or comes on due to the presence of an intruder, who will benefit from the light?”

You'll find many articles like this

https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/external-lighting-for-the-home-and-garden/620/the-benefits-and-limitations-of-external-lighting/

Which actually discuss how to use outdoor lighting so that it is effective.

Oh, and on the same page it discusses light pollution and the annoyance and aggravation it causes...

https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/external-lighting-for-the-home-and-garden/622/light-pollution-and-annoyance-and-their-effects/

Thank you for providing the relevant and informative links Cyclone. The second article relating to light pollution is particularly useful. Hopefully they will be of help to Pattricia’s son in dealing with this problem. 

Edited by Jomie

7 hours ago, Jomie said:

Thank you for providing the relevant and informative links Cyclone. The second article relating to light pollution is particularly useful. Hopefully they will be of help to Pattricia’s son in dealing with this problem. 

Thank you Jomie. It’s nice to get a polite answer.

In answer to the thread title no, the neighbour can't alter your light but they can contact environmental services at the council and report your light as a nuisance. An officer will come out and look at it and if they deem it a nuisance (which is likely if it is shining into a private area of your neighbour's home) then they will write you a letter asking you to adjust or remove the light. If you don't, then they can take enforcement action to force you to remove the light.

I'm not being funny but it is you who is the problem, not your neighbour. Whether the neighbour has Venitian blinds or not is irrelevant. Your neighbour has a right to a quality of private life without it being disturbed by antisocial behaviour, noise or lights.

12 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In answer to the thread title no, the neighbour can't alter your light but they can contact environmental services at the council and report your light as a nuisance. An officer will come out and look at it and if they deem it a nuisance (which is likely if it is shining into a private area of your neighbour's home) then they will write you a letter asking you to adjust or remove the light. If you don't, then they can take enforcement action to force you to remove the light.

I'm not being funny but it is you who is the problem, not your neighbour. Whether the neighbour has Venitian blinds or not is irrelevant. Your neighbour has a right to a quality of private life without it being disturbed by antisocial behaviour, noise or lights.

This light only shines on my front path and front garden. This week we had a burglary on the road when a ladies credit card was stolen out of her house and used to buy petrol. The victims had no burglar alarm or security lights. A letter from South Yorkshire Police was put through all our letter boxes asking us to tighten up on our security. I think this speaks for itself.