Local elections 2 May 2019

2 minutes ago, apelike said:

Who interviewed these candidates and where does that quote come from?

Pretty much every news organisation covering these elections and the quote is my synthesis of all the interviews I saw as well as the many pundits discussing post-Brexit negotiation difficulties for parties campaigning in these elections.

10 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Isn’t he supposed to be a solicitor? 😳

I don’t think party political membership is a barrier? Though personally I would not want to employ someone to represent me in legal matter with those types of views.

Edited by nightrider

5 minutes ago, nightrider said:

I don’t think party political membership is a barrier? Though personally I would not want to employ someone with those types of views.

I totally agree that political affiliation shouldn’t be a barrier except in positions of authority, but like you, I would never employ someone associated with far right politics.

Of course the other side of that is that some may employ him because he supports UKIP. 😉

6 hours ago, Magneteer said:

The local elections "should " be all about bins and roads etc, but the electorate have had to use them as the only weapon they have available to them, to batter the main parties severely around the head in an attempt to make them listen. Things like Brexit and Donald Trump etc, have happened purely because politicians "refuse to listen" and "think they know best" . Don't worry, I'm sure the bins will still get emptied.

Point taken but it also highlights that all of a sudden Joe Bloggs / Jane Bloggs / Bloggs (doesn't identify with any gender, (just covering all the bases there),  sees themselves as not only representing themselves as a councillor for the city but then also in this age social media (or personal media broadcasting), bit also announcing themselves on a wider stage.  Take for example the self grandiose of the Greens Majid Majid & his comments on Donald Trump, even though Trump has never had any intention to come to Sheffield but it got Majid in the headlines. 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments