Learning to Drive?

To you.

With regards to speed limits there are no "different kinds of dual carriageways" to brush up on.

I do mean that the signs WILL make it clear.  If it's not NSL then any other limit will be clearly posted and there WILL be regular repeater signs.

What did you mean regarding different kinds?  You weren't actually referring to D1, D2, D2M, etc as explained on the link (to a google search) that you provided were you?  Most people will have never heard and need never hear those designations.

When you pop down from your little cloud, and when you have actually made the run I mentioned. You'll know that the road system can be confusing for new drivers. I can assure you that there are parts of that run that are far from clear. As I was replying to the OP (a learner driver) it was just a heads up for them to keep an eye out and maybe learn a couple of things.

And unlike you, I make it clear when I'm just posting or quoting a google search. Bury your pedantic ways Cyclone, there's no need for it on every post you comment on.

9 hours ago, zach said:

When you pop down from your little cloud, and when you have actually made the run I mentioned. You'll know that the road system can be confusing for new drivers. I can assure you that there are parts of that run that are far from clear. As I was replying to the OP (a learner driver) it was just a heads up for them to keep an eye out and maybe learn a couple of things.

And unlike you, I make it clear when I'm just posting or quoting a google search. Bury your pedantic ways Cyclone, there's no need for it on every post you comment on.

So what types of dual carriageway should they be refreshing themselves on?  You provided a link, but maybe you could spell it out?

I'm not being pedantic, there aren't different types of dual carriageway with different speed limits as you said.

brush up on your dual carriageways with respect to speeds and types.

It wasn't me that questioned you first, it was DTRalge, who I think is a Rospa driving instructor, or perhaps the other one AIM.

You literally posted a google search, meaning millions of hits, so it's entirely unclear what you think that was proving.  I make it clear when I'm posting evidence by quoting both the relevant thing and the source of it.  Much more helpful than a link to a search that shows nothing.

Edited by Cyclone

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So what types of dual carriageway should they be refreshing themselves on?  You provided a link, but maybe you could spell it out?

I'm not being pedantic, there aren't different types of dual carriageway with different speed limits as you said.

It wasn't me that questioned you first, it was DTRalge, who I think is a Rospa driving instructor, or perhaps the other one AIM.

You literally posted a google search, meaning millions of hits, so it's entirely unclear what you think that was proving.  I make it clear when I'm posting evidence by quoting both the relevant thing and the source of it.  Much more helpful than a link to a search that shows nothing.

OK, whatever you say. 

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

RoSPA, actually. 

Many drivers (including me before my career switch 15 years ago) are not absolutely clear about limits on different roads and struggle with the definition of a dual-carriageway. 

Add NSL into it and I find still less clarity. 

8 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

RoSPA, actually. 

Many drivers (including me before my career switch 15 years ago) are not absolutely clear about limits on different roads and struggle with the definition of a dual-carriageway. 

Add NSL into it and I find still less clarity. 

I see, well it appears that Zach is refusing to explain anyway.

The dual bit seems to make identifying dual carriageways quite straight forwards in the majority of cases though, something separates the traffic going in different directions.  Nothing to do with the number of lanes and all to do with that separation, and for a car and NSL that defines the limit as 70mph unless signed otherwise.

I bet you can point out some edge cases where my understanding breaks down though, but I don't think they'll be on the A roads to Scotland where Zach was suggesting.

Cyclone, I wasn't refusing to to explain. It was the way you always come into threads with your attitude of "everything in life and on SF must be perfect. If it's not, I must put it right", that seems to kill threads on here. You jumped in feet first with your first reply, assuming the OP was breaking every law...it seems they weren't!

On reading back I used the word "dual" incorrectly when I had a certain point of that trip in mind, a road that has more than one carriageway but no physical central reservation. It was just an attempt to put yourself back in the seat when you were learning and how roads can look alike but have different laws that apply.

I really hope this first thread for the OP hasn't put them off posting on SF. I also apologise to the OP for my incorrect wording... I'm not perfect and never claim to be.

7 hours ago, zach said:

Cyclone, I wasn't refusing to to explain. It was the way you always come into threads with your attitude of "everything in life and on SF must be perfect. If it's not, I must put it right", that seems to kill threads on here. You jumped in feet first with your first reply, assuming the OP was breaking every law...it seems they weren't!

On reading back I used the word "dual" incorrectly when I had a certain point of that trip in mind, a road that has more than one carriageway but no physical central reservation. It was just an attempt to put yourself back in the seat when you were learning and how roads can look alike but have different laws that apply.

I really hope this first thread for the OP hasn't put them off posting on SF. I also apologise to the OP for my incorrect wording... I'm not perfect and never claim to be.

Sorry, I thought your original slip-up had been sorted ... but then this above - please explain “ a road that has more than one carriageway but no physical central reservation” ...

Edited by DT Ralge

I'm going to quote the first article from Google as I'm losing the will to live with this thread now.

A road without a central reservation is a singlecarriageway regardless of the number of lanes. Dualcarriageways have improved road traffic safety over single carriageways and typically have higherspeed limits as a result.