Learning to Drive?

1 hour ago, zach said:

I'm going to quote the first article from Google as I'm losing the will to live with this thread now.

Google should have thrown into the mix the simplest of statements which you didn’t appear to acknowledge in your words;

On reading back I used the word "dual" incorrectly when I had a certain point of that trip in mind, a road that has more than one carriageway but no physical central reservation.”

The simplest of explanation for a dual-carriageway is one with a barrier that makes the road into two carriageways.  The barrier can consist of grass, concrete, Armco or a mix but it unmistakeably makes the road into two carriageways.   

Paint marking out lanes in either direction does not count as a barrier.  

Your words “a road that has more than one carriageway but no physical central reservation” make no sense, therefore, and needed correcting (even if you can’t see that) if you set yourself up to offer another driver some advice. 

Edited by DT Ralge

On 27/04/2019 at 07:40, zach said:

Cyclone, I wasn't refusing to to explain. It was the way you always come into threads with your attitude of "everything in life and on SF must be perfect. If it's not, I must put it right", that seems to kill threads on here. You jumped in feet first with your first reply, assuming the OP was breaking every law...it seems they weren't!

On reading back I used the word "dual" incorrectly when I had a certain point of that trip in mind, a road that has more than one carriageway but no physical central reservation. It was just an attempt to put yourself back in the seat when you were learning and how roads can look alike but have different laws that apply.

I really hope this first thread for the OP hasn't put them off posting on SF. I also apologise to the OP for my incorrect wording... I'm not perfect and never claim to be.

Right, so you didn't mean dual carriageways.  Glad that's settled.

My confusion about the OP was resolved days and many comments ago, so that's irrelevant to any aside about types of dual carriageways isn't it.

If you'd answered DTRalge a page ago the confusion about what "kinds" of dual carriageways would have been resolved much more quickly I think.

17 hours ago, zach said:

Well I guess Google and myself need to practice being perfect like you and others.

Have a good one.

Happening to know something about a particular subject doesn't make anyone perfect or make them think that they are.

Edited by Cyclone

particularly?

See, you've got me at it now!

But thinking you know everything about everything  and jumping on every mistake can also be a far from perfect. I didn't actually name you in that reply but if the cap fits...

Move on, it's run it's course IMO.

18 hours ago, zach said:

Well I guess Google and myself need to practice being perfect like you and others.

Have a good one.

That should be practise the verb not practice the noun.

Sorry, couldn't resist. If you were going to leave this thread then this should be the nail that broke the camel's back.

I'll get my coat.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Fixed it.

Back onto the original topic, I've just changed to an AWD car, it alters the behaviour slightly and I'm going to go for a drive shortly and get a little bit more used to it.

I've just bought a 4WD that in normal drive mode is FWD only but will switch to 4WD automatically when the system feels it needs to. The only difference I've noticed, so far, is setting off on particular inclines where there used to be a bit of wheel-spin before gaining traction and there is none now.

2 minutes ago, max said:

That should be practise the verb not practice the noun.

Sorry, couldn't resist. If you were going to leave this thread then this should be the nail that broke the camel's back.

I'll get my coat.

Haha,

Nice one.  ;) 

20 hours ago, max said:

I've just bought a 4WD that in normal drive mode is FWD only but will switch to 4WD automatically when the system feels it needs to. The only difference I've noticed, so far, is setting off on particular inclines where there used to be a bit of wheel-spin before gaining traction and there is none now.

Mine is the opposite, RWD bias with power sent to the front if the wheels start to slip at the back.  Which alters how it feels and behaves in corners.