Allegations of rape: Why are police asking victims for their phones?

Guest makapaka
28 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49072302

So this is back in the news today with numerous reports of the police abusing the power and cases being dropped when the phone data is irrelevant.  

Almost like this was entirely predictable.

Did you see the bit in bold Makapaka...  A historic case, before people even had mobile phones, dropped because she wouldn't give up her currently mobile phone!

So, turns out that I wasn't wrong...  And you were.  

It's even held up cases where the rapist has admitted it.  You couldn't even make that one up could you.

Give it up.

It’s the same story as last time re-hashed.

youve missed outthe bit where the police say 

“We recognise the concerns of some privacy and victims' groups and have been seeking advice from a wide range of groups to help us improve the process. We are strengthening training and investing in new technology, which will help to address concerns."

Yeah, the bit where they say "we won't do that", whilst they continue doing it.

Perhaps you should tell the BBC that they're just rehashing stories though, not me.

Did I miss the bit where you said that this wouldn't happen, because the police said it wouldn't.  And yet it is doing, did I miss that bit?

Edited by Cyclone

Guest makapaka
8 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Yeah, the bit where they say "we won't do that", whilst they continue doing it.

Perhaps you should tell the BBC that they're just rehashing stories though, not me.

Did I miss the bit where you said that this wouldn't happen, because the police said it wouldn't.  And yet it is doing, did I miss that bit?

Historic cases - clues in the title. 

I’m amazed you took the trouble to go back to a thread from over a month ago only to just make the exact same point that “you don’t believe them”.

As I said 5weeks ago - If i can’t make you believe what’s written in front of you - there’s not much else I can say.

So I’ll leave it again. 

The Police can, and apparently have, demanded the phone of rape victims.  I am not sure why you are arguing.

Failure to comply with this can, and apparently has, caused cases to be dropped.

Sometimes this is necessary, mostly it is not. 

I worry that this will make rape victims, who are often reluctant to report crimes, even more reluctant.

Guest makapaka
13 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It's in the news today.  But you don't believe what's written apparently.

I read this 

“We recognise the concerns of some privacy and victims' groups and have been seeking advice from a wide range of groups to help us improve the process. We are strengthening training and investing in new technology, which will help to address concerns."

13 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

The Police can, and apparently have, demanded the phone of rape victims.  I am not sure why you are arguing.

Failure to comply with this can, and apparently has, caused cases to be dropped.

Sometimes this is necessary, mostly it is not. 

I worry that this will make rape victims, who are often reluctant to report crimes, even more reluctant.

Then the target is to make people less reluctant to hand over their mobile phones  - not change the resources available to the police and cps to establish guilt.

40 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I read this 

Then the target is to make people less reluctant to hand over their mobile phones  - not change the resources available to the police and cps to establish guilt.

I did say that sometimes it is necessary to have the phone searched.  But mostly it is not.

I wouldn't want to hand my phone over to the police 

Guest makapaka
13 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

I did say that sometimes it is necessary to have the phone searched.  But mostly it is not.

I wouldn't want to hand my phone over to the police 

Why?

5 hours ago, makapaka said:

Why?

Why would you?

My phone contains loads of personal stuff. It also contains loads of useful stuff.

Probably more importantly, it contains plenty of my stuff that is no business of the police.