People going to work on bikes.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

It isn't that high by any means, but it is a larger minority than for car drivers.

On the other hand, when a car does it the potential consequences are much worse.

Yes, which is why I said for logical reasons. Potential consequences being one, chances of being caught being another, and greater opportunity (due to the nature of cars blocking each other off, as long as the driver at the front of the queue is sensible, it's impossible for anyone else to go through on red even if they wanted to).

So, going back to page 9, I think the law should be changed to allow cycling on pavements.  Two home secretaries have already given tacit permission for it, the police do it themselves when on cycles, the law needs updating to reflect what appears to be already acceptable behaviour.

7 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So, going back to page 9, I think the law should be changed to allow cycling on pavements.  Two home secretaries have already given tacit permission for it, the police do it themselves when on cycles, the law needs updating to reflect what appears to be already acceptable behaviour.

I disagree. It's not safe for pedestrians because some cyclists go far too fast. Separate lanes for cycles on pavements is fine, but not on the same area that's for pedestrians.

4 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I disagree. It's not safe for pedestrians because some cyclists go far too fast. Separate lanes for cycles on pavements is fine, but not on the same area that's for pedestrians.

Those lanes would need traffic lights, to stop collisions. 

Would the pedestrians or cyclists jump them most????

Oh, sperate lanes for electric wheelchairs too. They're the worst offenders all round.

1 minute ago, Voice of reason said:

Those lanes would need traffic lights, to stop collisions. 

Would the pedestrians or cyclists jump them most????

Oh, sperate lanes for electric wheelchairs too. They're the worst offenders all round.

There's already cycle lanes on pavements...

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

There's already cycle lanes on pavements...

On some, and some roads.

My take on it is, does it really matter?

If people are acting sensibly and it doesn't cause any issues, then just get on with it.

People could run fast on pavements and bump into old biddies, bit they're still allowed.

I'd just sweat the big stuff.

Just now, Voice of reason said:

On some, and some roads.

My take on it is, does it really matter?

If people are acting sensibly and it doesn't cause any issues, then just get on with it.

People could run fast on pavements and bump into old biddies, bit they're still allowed.

I'd just sweat the big stuff.

People can't run as fast as cycling though, nor are people made out of metal. Cycling fast on pavements is dangerous (unless in a dedicated cycle lane) so my view is they should stick to the roads, and obey the laws of the road too. I'm not sweating about it though.

6 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

People can't run as fast as cycling though, nor are people made out of metal. Cycling fast on pavements is dangerous (unless in a dedicated cycle lane) so my view is they should stick to the roads, and obey the laws of the road too. I'm not sweating about it though.

You could say the same for a cyclist being hit by a car.

It did get a bit sweaty, the pair of you are pushing it towards a Part 2 😉

Just now, Voice of reason said:

You could say the same for a cyclist being hit by a car.

It did get a bit sweaty, the pair of you are pushing it towards a Part 2 😉

You could, but walking on pavements is a necessity, driving cars is a necessity (in many cases), whereas cycling is optional. Cycle lanes help cyclists stay safe on the roads but they are more suited to roads than pavements.