People going to work on bikes.

HSBC haven't done it to encourage squat.  It's cheaper to rent an office building with no parking, and the government restrict the amount of parking available to office building developers.

Most of the staff (and it's only gone from about 200 spaces to 8 ) will simply park in the nearest NCP and pay £6 a day.  As most of the staff do anyway because there are far more staff currently than there are parking spaces.

Based on the bike sheds I'd say that about max 100 people cycle to Griffin House, and far less on a day like today.

There are quite a few who walk or get public transport though, more than half my team don't drive to work!

Edited by Cyclone

4 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

I was talking about the necessity of cars and bikes though.

Your simplistic assertion that cars are necessary and bikes are not, only applies to a limited demographic - see post #207

Cars are more necessary. If society was without cars tomorrow, it would collapse. The same just can't be said about bicycles.

10 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Re: cycling on pavements, we already have shared pedestrian/cyclist spaces, and they seem to work okay.  They should be the default.

Yes, I even pointed this out earlier in the thread, but they're clearly segregated with separate lanes for pedestrians and cyclists.

Well, look at your power of reasoning and debate, you've clearly got us there.  QED.

Feel free to come back anytime you have a real response to try to justify this one.

Cars are more necessary. If society was without cars tomorrow, it would collapse. The same just can't be said about bicycles. It should be too obvious an argument to have to make.

On 09/06/2019 at 08:37, WiseOwl182 said:

Ok, let's rephrase slightly. Cycling is by far the least necessary out of cycling, walking and road vehicles (cars and buses).

Funny, I don't see any mention of "to society" in the statement.

On 11/06/2019 at 17:52, WiseOwl182 said:

Yes, I even pointed this out earlier in the thread, but they're clearly segregated with separate lanes for pedestrians and cyclists.

No, you're wrong, that's not what shared space means.  There certainly are segregated cycle lanes, but these are not shared space.

On 11/06/2019 at 17:52, WiseOwl182 said:

Cars are more necessary. If society was without cars tomorrow, it would collapse. The same just can't be said about bicycles.

This thread isn't about the necessity of cars in society as a whole, it's about people cycling to work in Sheffield.

That reduces matters to an individual level, each person has different circumstances and requirements in their lives, your claim that cars are more necessary will only apply to a limited demographic. To many people a bike is necessary and a car is not.

Or some days, a bike may be more necessary, while other days a car may be more necessary.

Edited by RootsBooster

Absolutely, I'd agree with that as it fits my circumstances.   For commuting the bike is more "necessary" for me than the car, and at other times the car is a necessity as there are journeys that a bike isn't suitable for and where the public transport options are very poor.

For someone who simply doesn't cycle I can see how they'd make the mistake that bikes aren't necessary, at least if they were mistakenly thinking that everyone is like them.

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

For someone who simply doesn't cycle I can see how they'd make the mistake that bikes aren't necessary, at least if they were mistakenly thinking that everyone is like them.

Indeed, I'd never considered cycling to work until it occurred to me that I easily cover the same distance on my Saturday morning leisure ride.

Before that, the thought of cycling into town had seemed like an incredible inconvenience. After I checked Google maps and saw that the estimated ride duration would be the same as driving (in morning traffic conditions), I decided to give it a go.

Funny, I don't see any mention of "to society" in the statement.

Apologies if I didn't make that clear.

No, you're wrong, that's not what shared space means.  There certainly are segregated cycle lanes, but these are not shared space.

Then I disagree with shared spaces. Cyclists and pedestrians should be segregated.

8 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

This thread isn't about the necessity of cars in society as a whole, it's about people cycling to work in Sheffield.

That reduces matters to an individual level, each person has different circumstances and requirements in their lives, your claim that cars are more necessary will only apply to a limited demographic. To many people a bike is necessary and a car is not.

Or some days, a bike may be more necessary, while other days a car may be more necessary.

Whichever way you try to spin it, more individuals rely on cars than bicycles. You're deluding yourself if you seriously think otherwise.

13 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Whichever way you try to spin it, more individuals rely on cars than bicycles. You're deluding yourself if you seriously think otherwise.

An entirely different claim, and one which I doubt anyone would have queried.

I suppose I'm a petrol head, part of a drag racing team that runs a 7 second blown alcohol big block Chevy so not the greenest person in the world but Id happily give up my private car money pit before giving up my bicycle. I couldn't function without the convenience of the bike or ebike. 

I  see people in that traffic jam out past ASDA every morning crawling down the parkway one person in each vehicle and I actually feel quite sorry for them. Its as if like in their mind there is no other way. Maybe there isn't so thats all of our faults.

Anyway private car ownership may be a thing of the past in the next 20 years, although I'm still sceptical that level 5 autonomous vehicles will exist by then. The jump from level 3 tech to level 5 is just too big, and we struggle at level 3 even now 

https://www.citymetric.com/transport/car-ownership-its-way-out-could-public-transport-go-same-way-4640

Also in Bristol, they call it car blindness.

https://www.bristol247.com/opinion/your-say/bristol-has-become-car-blind/