People going to work on bikes.

I commuted across the city on my Brompton and never had an issue with the hills with a 6 speed version. Going on the train was really straightforward but I always chained my bike to the luggage rack if I was out of sight of it. 

The Brompton is the best bike I have bought for commuting. 

Guest makapaka

I wouldn't cycle around roads in the city centre - nor most parts of the suburbs  - for a golden pig.  It's madness.

Totally outdated form of transport for a city. I understand it ticks boxes for health and the environment but involves transport by balancing on metal spindles with zero protection on dangerous, busy roads.

In an ideal world yes but realistically - no ta.

Edited by makapaka

12 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I wouldn't cycle around roads in the city centre - nor most parts of the suburbs  - for a golden pig.  It's madness.

Totally outdated form of transport for a city. I understand it ticks boxes for health and the environment but involves transport by balancing on metal spindles with zero protection on dangerous, busy roads.

The dangerous, busy roads in the city centre tend to have relatively slow moving traffic. I feel safer cycling through town than I do on the country roads nearer to where I live.

Guest makapaka
46 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

The dangerous, busy roads in the city centre tend to have relatively slow moving traffic. I feel safer cycling through town than I do on the country roads nearer to where I live.

Maybe so - doesn’t make the roads in the city any  safer though.

Edited by makapaka

7 minutes ago, makapaka said:

How so?

Slower moving traffic means they have more time to see you and if you are hit at lower speeds you are less likely to sustain serious injury.

Edited by RootsBooster

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

in an ideal world, or, the Netherlands.

"Totally outdated form of transport for a city"

it's cheap, clean, small, fast, safe, healthy, fun, reliable, accessible, etc.

sounds very suitable for a city. it's cars that are out of place.

Edited by ads36

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

How so?

Slower moving traffic means they have more time to see you and if you are hit at lower speeds you are less likely to sustain serious injury.

Of course but potentially being hit by a slow car or a fast car isn’t really good either way is it. 

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

in an ideal world, or, the Netherlands.

"Totally outdated form of transport for a city"

it's cheap, clean, small, fast, safe, healthy, fun, reliable, accessible, etc.

sounds very suitable for a city. it's cars that are out of place.

I wasn’t talking about the Netherlands I was talking about English towns and cities and in particular Sheffield.

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:01, Longcol said:

Also presumably outside but part of Sheffield - High Green, Chapeltown, Oughtibridge, Wharncliffe Side, Deepcar /Stocksbridge, Worrall /Bradfield, Middlewood.

Plus of course loads of commuters from Dronfield and North Derbys, Worksop and North Notts, Brinsworth / Rotherham, Hope Valley  - as well as those already mentioned by Cyclone.

The Sheffield City Region does need far better links but the provision of one bike per tram at off peak times goes nowhere near solving anything.

High Green, Chapeltown, Dronfield, North Derbyshire, Worksop and North Notts, Rotherham, Hope Valley  - are already served by train services which carry booked bikes.

19 hours ago, makapaka said:

Well, my "outdated" form of transport gets me to the office quicker than any other form available (unless you have a jetpack I can borrow).

It gets me 40 minutes of exercise a day instead of wasting 50-60 minutes sat down in a vehicle contributing to pollution.

The roads could be safer, that's true, it would take a moderate investment to make them so and that would encourage more cyclists.

They're not particularly busy though, being free to pass through Hillsborough corner and with quite a few pelican crossings that allow bikes to cross I can avoid the busiest roads, which also happens to make my journey slightly shorter.

18 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

How so?

It literally does make them safer.

14 hours ago, makapaka said:

Of course but potentially being hit by a slow car or a fast car isn’t really good either way is it. 

Being hit by a meteorite isn't good either, but if the risk of being hit is lower then that's literally safer.

There are many urban areas with higher levels of cycle usage, take cambridge for example, fairly famous for the high level of cycling in the UK.

Edited by Cyclone