Sheffield Landladies 1951-1990- help needed !

1 hour ago, death_of_rats40 said:

Ada Bennet was the landlady of Rising Sun, Abbey Lane. I worked there as a barmaid in 71/72. Remember others- Cynthia Green, Andrew Staniland my cousin.  Ada always wore a silk 'corsage' pinned to her dress and had a pug dog named Benji. She served lunches in the cocktail bar during the week.  Although a free house, Mansfield Bitter was the beer on tap costing 6s 8d per pint. The till was just like Arkwrights'  with no calculator and a very fast spring return. We were not allowed to accept money tips but could charge the customer for a drink. 

I think you are way out with the price of beer in that period.

We were already decimal by February 1971.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/16608-beer-prices-in-1971/

On 12/05/2019 at 16:07, hillsbro said:

This depends on when it was. Directories often don't name licensees after 1954, and Mary Latham isn't mentioned in the ones I have up to the last (1974) edition. A quick web search brought up the Winter 1992 edition of "Dore to Door" which mentions Mary Latham at the Dore Moor Inn but doesn't give a date. "... Innkeepers since 1905 have included M. Hutchinson, a Mr Beamer, Norman Trimnell and Mary Latham. Mr and Mrs Jack Jones ran the inn from 1975 until Ken Cooney took over in 1987 after 18 years at the Big Gun in the Wicker."

My memory could be faulty but a girl called Janice Latham was at The gregg school in sheffield circa  late 1950 early 1960 and her parents ran the dore more inn.I seem to recall that she had auburn coloured hair.

Clarence ( known as Clarrie )  and Joan Whittaker.   Their first pub was  The Junction Inn on Brightside Lane.

Second pub was  The Douglas Inn, Douglas Road right at the top of Parkwood Springs.   Their third pub was  The Bulls Head, High Street, Mexborough.   Wonder if anybody remembers them ?

My favourite pub in the  City was the Bull and Oak in the Wicker run by Frank Wainwright for many years 70's and 80's.

When Frank died his wife Audrey took over and had the name changed over the door to Audrey Waring - Wainwright  including her maiden name.

I believe that when the Pub was ear-marked for demolition she spent some time in the Big Gun also in the Wicker. 

Not so sure about this as I had gone to Australia by this time.