The Brexit Party thread. All brexit party discussion here please.

Message added by mort

A couple of points for you to take note of.

We expect it to remain civil and within our usual forum rules.

As this is about an election the following will apply

Here at SF we try to ensure fair play, and that includes during elections. We don't allow links direct to political party websites or to sites that spread spurious stories for political influence at any time, and that will continue. We also ask candidates and those campaigning for political parties to follow our code of conduct in the run up to elections. In order to not provide any influence unfairly to any side, we ask that those who are standing or who represent a party refrain from posting in threads to do with political discussion or elections during the 4 week run up to the vote.

It's  mandatory and your account will be suspended if you don't do it.

If you have any questions please take them to the helpdesk rather than starting threads attacking the forum team. If you do that then your account will be suspended. 

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There’s no disagreement to be had.

Jeremy Corbyn has been an anti-racist all of his life. Nobody has ever challenged that. Suddenly he becomes leader of the Labour Party and the establishment start to panic that he may end up as Prime Minister, so the Daily Mail, Zionist elements of the London Jewish community and the right of the Labour Party start to misrepresent anti-Zionism as anti-semitism and all of a sudden, a whole bunch of stupid people start to call Corbyn an antisemite.

As John Lydon said ‘Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?’

Ahh so blame the Jews now is it?  Didn't take long for that to happen did it?

No wonder you love Corbyn so much.

You still haven't commented on the fact Corbyn allies himself with people who want to kill Jews.

9 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

So all the people who know him better than you are all silly? 

He has publicly allied himself with an anti semitic group.

Let's swap this round to see if you are consistent.

Say Boris Johnson becomes the leader of the Tory Party.  Multiple people within his party resign because they can't work with someone who is anti-black.

Then he refers to the KKK as his friends.  

Would you believe this is enough evidence to call him racist against black folk?

No it doesn't at all.  Things can be both normal and natural and require a cure.

To some gay people, their sexuality is a problem.

No it isn't, homophobia is the problem

Just now, melthebell said:

No it isn't, homophobia is the problem

Not at all.  Some gay people don't want to be gay. 

I know people who really struggle with their sexuality.  Another friend of mine who is heavily involved in Manchester Pride spent all of his 20s and 30s wishing he wasn't gay.  

He is now 45 ish and in a relationship with a pretty awesome guy, so for the first time in his life he is happy in his love life.  There is even talk of a big gay wedding!

I would love to cure the world of homophobia.  However, that is something that, if it ever happens, will take generations.  It would be easier to take a pill rather than to change culture and beliefs that are ingrained into many many people.

Science can turn a biological male into something very close to a biological female.  So much so that many people would consider this individual a female.  Breasts are grown, testosterone is reduced, body hair reduced, voice changed etc.  This is a wonderful thing that eases the life of someone desperately unhappy with their sex.

If science was to be able to offer the same kind of solace to anyone unhappy with their sexual orientation, would you really call that homophobic?  Would you deny the person solace because you believe society should be fixed?

I have to admit that sounds cruel.

9 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Not at all.  Some gay people don't want to be gay. 

I know people who really struggle with their sexuality.  Another friend of mine who is heavily involved in Manchester Pride spent all of his 20s and 30s wishing he wasn't gay.  

why?

Because of homophobia, not being able to talk about it, not being able to mention it, the fear of being seen in public with their lover, not even being able to come out to their friends and family.

Thats why some gays struggle with it and "dont want to be gay"

Edited by melthebell

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

why?

Because of homophobia, not being able to talk about it, not being able to mention it, the fear of being seen in public with their lover, not even being able to come out to their friends and family.

Thats why some gays struggle with it and "dont want to be gay"

Oh that is undoubtedly a huge part of it.  A school acquaintance of mine who is proudly gay and came out in school recently posted on Facebook that it upsets him that his husband won't hold his hand in public for fear of assault.  I cried when reading it.  I was never really close to the lad but he is a smashing fella and deserves to be able to express his love like I can with my wife.

There are other aspects that cause upset to some, the drastically reduced chance of having a biological child, increased chance of std transmission and the smaller pool from which to find love.

However, for someone alive now, they know that homophobia is not going to be solved in their life time.  So easing their suffering by solving homophobia is unrealistic.  Taking a pill wouldn't be.

However, even if you think that they shouldn't have to take a pill (and I agree), the creation of that pill would not be homophobic, which is what we are discussing.