Who next for Tory Leader/PM?

18 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I didn’t say that the majority did. That referendum was also non binding but because the ‘join’ vote was more than double the ‘don’t join’ vote, the Labour Government decided to implement the result.

In 2016 not only was there only 1% between the two options but within days, the polls were showing enough people to have changed their mind to have reversed the referendum result.

So you agree that the (hypothesised) opinion of people that didn't vote shouldn't be used to engineer figures to suit whatever the argument might be. That's good, as it's a rather silly and facile argument. I know some people on here have been trying to argue such things, but it may not have been you. 

Edited by Robin-H

Are any of the Go Boris supporters on here even a tiny bit concerned that when he was London Mayor Johnson said “I am passionately pro-immigration and pro-immigrants.”?

Given that immigration was the #1 reason for 70% of Leave supporters voting how they did, isn’t it worrying that the person you hope to deliver your ‘all-white Brexit” has made statements like that in the past?

On 27/07/2019 at 20:21, Top Cats Hat said:

Are any of the Go Boris supporters on here even a tiny bit concerned that when he was London Mayor Johnson said “I am passionately pro-immigration and pro-immigrants.”?

Given that immigration was the #1 reason for 70% of Leave supporters voting how they did, isn’t it worrying that the person you hope to deliver your ‘all-white Brexit” has made statements like that in the past?

I see you are still doing your usual distorting of what has been said or written so that it fits your warped ideas of the Brexit situation. Here is what was actually said, very very different to your post.

From the Financial Times.

" Boris Johnson on Thursday hinted that he will run a more liberal immigration regime, as he distanced himself from Theresa May’s target of cutting annual net migration to the “tens of thousands” and expressed interest in an amnesty for illegal immigrants. The new prime minister told the House of Commons that the UK must “continue to attract the brightest and best talent from around the world”, adding he wanted to introduce an Australia-style points-based system for visas for skilled overseas workers. "

Angel1

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I see you are still doing your usual distorting of what has been said or written so that it fits your warped ideas of the Brexit situation. Here is what was actually said, very very different to your post.

From the Financial Times.

" Boris Johnson on Thursday hinted that he will run a more liberal immigration regime, as he distanced himself from Theresa May’s target of cutting annual net migration to the “tens of thousands” and expressed interest in an amnesty for illegal immigrants. The new prime minister told the House of Commons that the UK must “continue to attract the brightest and best talent from around the world”, adding he wanted to introduce an Australia-style points-based system for visas for skilled overseas workers. "

Angel1

Can I take it that you are in favour of this 'new Australian-style' PBS visa system proposed by Johnson?

If you are, then would you mind explaining to me, how this differs from the existing UK PBS visa system of the last 11 years (tweaked as it has been since 2010, by Theresa May's "hostile environment" policies)?

Genuine question, as I can't seem to find any details about this latest UK proposal, and I am genuinely interested, just to see if this will harden or relax the current UK standard.

Edited by L00b

On 29/07/2019 at 10:22, L00b said:

Can I take it that you are in favour of this 'new Australian-style' PBS visa system proposed by Johnson?

If you are, then would you mind explaining to me, how this differs from the existing UK PBS visa system of the last 11 years (tweaked as it has been since 2010, by Theresa May's "hostile environment" policies)?

Genuine question, as I can't seem to find any details about this latest UK proposal, and I am genuinely interested, just to see if this will harden or relax the current UK standard.

As I am not in government and very much a Brexiteer I have no idea at all how the point based system will work if Boris were to introduce it for the UK. I can only say that having relatives who moved to Aus, and having relatives who worked in Aus under their system, and had to return when their visa expired, the Aus system seems to work ok. Or do they simply Police it better than the UK has ever done. After all as Anne Widdecome said, if you get onto our soil, it is virtually impossible to remove you..  Hence Boris's idea of an amnesty for the hundreds of thousands who are here I suppose, as we have a snowflake in hell's chance of ever removing them.

Angel1.

16 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

After all as Anne Widdecome said, if you get onto our soil, it is virtually impossible to remove you.. 

I’m not sure I would put much store in the words of a bonkers racist on any matters to do with immigration. Hundreds of people are deported every week in the UK.

In other news, Johnson is really doing well uniting the country. He was booed even louder today in Wales than he was yesterday in Scotland. 

13 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Or do they simply Police it better than the UK has ever done.

Yes, exactly this!

After all as Anne Widdecome said, if you get onto our soil, it is virtually impossible to remove you..

She's not being entirely honest, it might be true for people from some places, but not EU citizens.

This was one of the things confirmed as totally fine in that EU meeting you claimed Cameron came back with nothing from!

Hence Boris's idea of an amnesty for the hundreds of thousands who are here I suppose, as we have a snowflake in hell's chance of ever removing them.

If only it were true eh :hihi:

On 29/07/2019 at 10:22, L00b said:

Don't confuse the two. The current PBS system and the 'hostile environment' (which is a term getting watered down with every mention) are very different.

PBS is for people wishing to enter or remain on valid visas. The hostile environment was implemented to make it difficult for those on the UK illegally to continue to do so. 

36 minutes ago, Delayed said:

The hostile environment was implemented to make it difficult for those on the UK illegally to continue to do so. 

As well as many people who have been living here legally for almost their entire lives, including those who have served their country in the armed forces.