Who next for Tory Leader/PM?

21 hours ago, andyofborg said:

I think the point is that more than just a minority of white and/or older people  who share views possibly at odds with the wider public should have a say. 

The way this works is the candidates have to please that demographic in order to get elected. What happens after, well that demographic gets a lot less important doesn’t it.

Its revoke A50 or a long extension. There aren’t any other options. No deal will be the end of the Tories, and Labour

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

(...)

Its revoke A50 or a long extension. There aren’t any other options. No deal will be the end of the Tories, and Labour

But would it be the end of nationalist populism?

I think it would just exacerbate it. And I think that is (still) the sales plan.

Jeremy Hunt is speaking on the television.

No sunny uplands, no talk of a bright future, just a list of all the emergency planning he intends to implement (including banning leave for civil servants) for a no deal exit.

So we have someone standing for Prime Minister who is basically saying, if elected I will burn your house down but don’t worry, I am installing sprinklers and buying extra fire engines to park outside your house.

These people really should be in jail but without a written constitution is unlikely ever to happen. Let’s hope they are decimated at the next General Election.

45 minutes ago, L00b said:

But would it be the end of nationalist populism?

I think it would just exacerbate it. And I think that is (still) the sales plan.

I've been convinced for a while now the plan is to ask for unicorns and then blame johnny foreigner when we crash out without a deal - and everything that subsequently goes wrong. 

19 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I’ve no problem - well, I have - with how our system of government operates. What’s good enough for Gordon brown is good enough for Boris Johnson, and at least there is an internal election which there wasn’t when May received here coronation. My problem with Boris is that he’s telling his members that he’s quite prepared to suspend parliament. Brown, to my knowledge, never threatened it and obviously never did it.

Presumably on the race thing, you’d be quite happy if 81000 young Muslim men voted in our next leader?

How will we rise from the ashes?

By going out into the big wide world and selling our wares and services. After all the EU is only around 15% of the worlds trade, gives us 85% to do deals with. Notwithstanding the trade we will still do with the EU after Brexit, as they send more to us than we do them. Food for thought for the remoaners to digest.

Angel1.

23 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

By going out into the big wide world and selling our wares and services. After all the EU is only around 15% of the worlds trade, gives us 85% to do deals with. Notwithstanding the trade we will still do with the EU after Brexit, as they send more to us than we do them. Food for thought for the remoaners to digest.

Angel1.

That old chestnut that just refuses to die.

The EU(27) is 45% of the UK's export market.

The UK is 15% of the EU(27)'s export market.

And even with the positive balance of trade enjoyed by the UK with the EU (more EU27 goods exported to UK than reciprocally (your point)), based on the types and volumes goods traded between the UK and the EU27 in the 2016-2018 period, UK buyers would end up paying more tarriffs on EU27 goods, than EU27 buyers on UK goods.

EDIT - in with a source before the inevitable request: https://mobile.twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1143593093620518920 (many more available at that twitter account)

Food for thought, as you say. Bon appétit ;)

Edited by L00b

Furthermore Angel1 seems to be under the impression that being part of the EU means we can't trade with countries outside the EU.  We can.  Just in the last few months the EU has signed trade deals with Canada, Singapore and - just this week - the equivalent trading block of South America.

We, of course, will be excluded from all these deals once we leave the EU meaning . . well . . we can only trade with them on WTO terms, not the better terms we would have had as part of the EU.

Never mind.  We will survive thanks to the continuity deals signed so far with Liechenstein, Palestine, The Faroe Island, Norway and Israel.

Brexit - living the dream.

5 minutes ago, bendix said:

Furthermore Angel1 seems to be under the impression that being part of the EU means we can't trade with countries outside the EU.  We can.  Just in the last few months the EU has signed trade deals with Canada, Singapore and - just this week - the equivalent trading block of South America.

We, of course, will be excluded from all these deals once we leave the EU meaning . . well . . we can only trade with them on WTO terms, not the better terms we would have had as part of the EU.

Never mind.  We will survive thanks to the continuity deals signed so far with Liechenstein, Palestine, The Faroe Island, Norway and Israel.

Brexit - living the dream.

You're in danger of overlooking the situation wherein the UK leaves on adversarial terms (no deal, no backstop, no payment, etc.), as amply advertised by the UK's next Prime Minister, i.e. wherein the EU27 rightly consider that the UK is wilfully engaging in a trade war with them.

In that situation, how easy, do Leavers think, is the EU going to make it on the UK, for the UK to negotiate deals with countries, with which the EU already has a deal? ;)

Hunt today compared his £6bn bung to farmers as "like bailing out the banks in 2008" :?

"Brexit... like the 2008 financial crisis... but voluntary!"

A good message for the side of a bus, perhaps :roll:

A Brexit "damage mitigation fund"... I mean, you couldn't make it up! :loopy:

Maybe, just maybe, it'd be better if no-one needed bailing out at all, and then we could actually use this money to pay some nurses?

Edited by Magilla

34 minutes ago, bendix said:

Indeed, the problem with Angels "food for thought" guff is that clearly they couldn't be bothered to apply it to themselves... this stuff was debubunked years ago! How can anyone be so ill-informed in todays day and age?

Anyway, look on the bright side, if memory serves Angel is a lorry driver...

What would no deal mean for lorry drivers?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47377037

.. it would mean they're in the sh*t!