Cycle Speedway

Pete Howe: 1948-2011

Because he was such a flamboyant character, such a charismatic guy, everyone will have different memories of Pete. Here are a few of mine:

Firstly, in about 1964, when a group of “Long Haired Layabouts” (as my dad would have called them) were building a cycle speedway track on Wordsworth, a marvellous piece of engineering and very much driven by Pete and Ken. Pete was always active. One minute, pushing a barrow full of turf sods down to the bottom corner to build up the bank on that all important first bend. Two minutes later he’d be having a competition with our John to see who could do the best flying hand spring – then shortly after that he would have his guitar out and he’d be singing Beatles’ songs to Bee-bee and Barbara

A few years later I was on Deerlands Avenue with Steve Bower when Pete got off the 53, carrying the new Pink Floyd album, “Piper at the Gates of Dawn” under his arm. He had a shock of bleached blond hair and was wearing a pair of purple corduroy jeans, which were quite a tight fit, but he’d done that magic thing of cutting up the seam at the bottom and putting in some extra material to make them into flares – material he’d cut from his Mum’s best paisley headscarfe. We went into his dad’s house on The Mount and listened to the album. Pete really enjoyed the quirky Syd Barratt songs, “Scarecrow”, “Bike” and “Interstellar Overdrive” and wore a big smile all the way through them.

But my favourite memory of Pete’s is when he brought his band up to Mansell Youth Club to play for us. They set their stuff up in the corner of the little dark disco, Dave Heyward’s “Dave Clarke Five Junior Drum Kit” pushed right into the corner, and Pete and Phil Johnson out front with guitars and mic’s. There was no spotlight, just the spinning mirror ball throwing fast moving coloured lights all around the place, as Pete belted out the popular choices, “Loves to Love the Loved”, “King of the Saucepans” and of course, that perennial old standard, “Hit me over the head, with a Fire Extinguisher”

Great memories - great days. Thanks Pete

Great send off for Pete yesterday, a pleasant service followed by a few pints of Sam Smith’s in the Cow and Calf

Met some great old friends – Terry Howell, Deso, Manx, Keith Atkinson, Tommy Roebuck, Phil Stocks, George Stocks, Les Richardson, our Pete and John, and the still gorgeous Sandie Burns. Pete’s mum still looks great and Ken is fine.

Bumped into Ted Taylor and Pat Brown a bit later and continued drinking well into the night.

Yo - I'm real sad to hear about Pete -.

Great seeing you again Tommy, although a sad occasion

Thanks for the fotos. I'll get them scanned in later and put them somewhere were everyone can see 'em

Hope you got home OK. I haven't drunk that much since I was in the Sgt's Mess:)

I have put Tommy Roebuck’s fotos onto my foto website. I have put as much info as I can on them. Please add further info by clicking “comments” underneath each pic, especially names if you have them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bushbaby387/?saved=1

When I have all the info, I will send them to the “History of Cycle Speedway” site

http://www.cyclespeedwayhistory.org.uk/

Tommy’s group foto of the tigers isn’t exactly the same as the one we’ve already seen, but was taken a few seconds before or after that one

If anybody wants a copy of any of the fotos, email me at Bushbaby387@yahoo.co.uk, and I’ll be happy to oblige

Big thanks to Tommy

Hi Bushbaby,

If you go on to the Sheffield Stars website (haven't posted enough on the Forum yet to allow me to include URLs, but search for "Sheffield Stars Cycle Speedway" and you find it), send an email to the club secretary and include your snail mail address. He'll send you a copy of the match programme from Saturday's Open/Women's Championships.

I have put Tommy Roebuck’s fotos onto my foto website. I have put as much info as I can on them. Please add further info by clicking “comments” underneath each pic, especially names if you have them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bushbaby387/?saved=1

When I have all the info, I will send them to the “History of Cycle Speedway” site

http://www.cyclespeedwayhistory.org.uk/

Tommy’s group foto of the tigers isn’t exactly the same as the one we’ve already seen, but was taken a few seconds before or after that one

If anybody wants a copy of any of the fotos, email me at Bushbaby387@yahoo.co.uk, and I’ll be happy to oblige

Big thanks to Tommy

tall guy is tony mitchell

Cheers Tony

I'm getting a copy of last Sunday's program from the meeting. Pete is mentioned. I'll scan it and stick a link on to it

I passed your regards on to Ken by the way

thanks steve did ken say anyting, prob not because he had alot on his mind

Archived