When is it ok to have an abortion?

49 minutes ago, L00b said:

Your strawman is hinged on the classic mistake of amalgamating law ('special rights', 'forced')  and morality (not law): I made no mention of rights, only of the lack of moral character of an extremely late termination (say, at 8 months and crumbs) out of choice rather than (medical) necessity, which is what I understood from the OP.

Feel free to try again. Minus the strawman argument, please.

Very late terminations on medical grounds (expected or not regardless) need not be mentioned (with/at me at least), they're a very obvious pass here. But lifestyle terminations should be time-capped. It's not a holiday or a wedding they're cancelling late.

Before you lecture me on manners may I just remind you of the rather offensive tone in your own post. 

Declaring those who choose late abortions as having a "lack of moral character".   This must be your own thought because there was no mention of such in the OP wording.     You then seem to raise some snide comment of attempting to compare a decision to terminate as some whimsy like cancelling a holiday booking.

Now I asked a couple of perfectly reasonable questions in this obviously emotive debate. 

Why exactly do you feel it should be time capped?      Why is termination at 3 weeks, 6 weeks or 30 weeks any different?    Its still "killing a human" as some people would shout.

Why do you feel that someone's unsupported moral stance and clear personal opinion takes precedence over a womans own right  to choose what happens in her own body?

Edited by ECCOnoob

5 hours ago, L00b said:

Your strawman is hinged on the classic mistake of amalgamating law ('special rights', 'forced')  and morality (not law): I made no mention of rights, only of the lack of moral character of an extremely late termination (say, at 8 months and crumbs) out of choice rather than (medical) necessity, which is what I understood from the OP.

Feel free to try again. Minus the strawman argument, please.

Very late terminations on medical grounds (expected or not regardless) need not be mentioned (with/at me at least), they're a very obvious pass here. But lifestyle terminations should be time-capped. It's not a holiday or a wedding they're cancelling late.

My apologies, I thought you had a better argument than simply a 'lack of moral character'.

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Before you lecture me on manners may I just remind you of the rather offensive tone in your own post. 

Declaring those who choose late abortions as having a "lack of moral character".   This must be your own thought because there was no mention of such in the OP wording.     You then seem to raise some snide comment of attempting to compare a decision to terminate as some whimsy like cancelling a holiday booking.

Now I asked a couple of perfectly reasonable questions in this obviously emotive debate. 

Why exactly do you feel it should be time capped?      Why is termination at 3 weeks, 6 weeks or 30 weeks any different?    Its still "killing a human" as some people would shout.

Why do you feel that someone's unsupported moral stance and clear personal opinion takes precedence over a womans own right  to choose what happens in her own body?

I’m “lecturing you on manners” because your post was laced with personal attacks at me, in answer to a post without any personal attacks, that was not even directed at you.

I never mind answering genuine questions. I don’t mind rethoric nor jibes, when they’re banter in good spirit. I do mind needless insulting. 

You’ll get a reasoned answer to your reasonable questions later, when I’m not using an iPhone.

Edited by L00b

Some people need to calm right down on this thread.

In regards to what the 'fetus' is , if you google images of Premature Baby , that is what is being referred to as a fetus. It isn't a non descript cluster of cells. It is a baby.

If a woman wants a late stage termination, then I'd suggest the solution being a cesarian and then the baby can be adopted.

1 hour ago, Yeah but said:

Do pro choice people think women should be allowed to have their baby terminated immediately after birth?

Now all you are doing is trolling and such a comment is not even worth a reply

7 minutes ago, alchemist said:

Now all you are doing is trolling and such a comment is not even worth a reply

There are those that believe there should be no time limits for abortion, now, are they really  saying that a nine month stage baby inside a woman is fair game for abortion, but seconds later when out/born it is not?? 

Edited by Yeah but

2 hours ago, Yeah but said:

There are those that believe there should be no time limits for abortion, now, are they really  saying that a nine month stage baby inside a woman is fair game for abortion, but seconds later when out/born it is not?? 

Abortion. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. An abortion is when a pregnancy ends early without the birth of any live children. A developing human takes about thirty-nine weeks to grow and be born. Normally, this occurs about forty weeks after the mother's last menstrual period.

What you have described is birth and therefore bringing about its death would be murder not abortion

3 hours ago, Yeah but said:

Do pro choice people think women should be allowed to have their baby terminated immediately after birth?

To be fair I thought you were being a bit cheeky with this post but nope!!

Its staggering to believe but a quick Google finds some people actually wanting a womens right to choose to include after the baby has  been born.

Stop the world, I want to get off 😞

Edited by LizzieBirdswrth

On 03/06/2019 at 14:12, LizzieBirdswrth said:

Whilst speaking to a friend today I was a little taken aback by his stance on abortion. He believes a women has the right to have a termination right up to the due date even if neither the baby or the mother is in any danger as he believes a women's right to choose is the number one priority. I just cant get my head around this and feel that as soon as the fetus is viable then the choice to have a termination should not be just the mothers choice.

What are your thoughts on this? Is my friend right?

I don't entirely agree with your friend.  Definitely up to the mother and her decision, but I think the current time limits are appropriate.